• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding spots in the Hague (1 Viewer)

Byronix

Hey all,

I’ll be in The Hague for a few days next week for work, and would like to get in some quick birding while there. Any recommendations for good winter birding spots that are easily accessible from the city center? (I’ll only have a couple of hours free) Thanks!

You might want to try the piers of Scheveningen harbour. Easily reachable from the Hague city centre by public transport and, depending on the day, of course, a good spot for waders, gulls, etc.

Thanks Peter, I had my eye on the harbour, good to know there's something of interest there. Main targets for this trip would be waders, sea ducks and divers - I think I've already seen most of the likely gulls to be found in the Netherlands.

Very nice morning of birding in The Malieveld, on my walk from the center to Scheveningen, and then along the beach and pier. Totaled 31 species, including three lifers!

* lifer

1. Canada Goose (Malieveld)
2. Egyptian Goose (all over the place, including on highway medians)
3. Mallard (Malieveld)
4. Tufted Duck* (Malieveld)
5. Common Eider (Scheveningen, male, flying far out at sea)
6. Little Grebe (Scheveningen, swimming in the harbor)
7. Great Crested Grebe (Scheveningen, swimming in the harbor)
8. Great Cormorant (all over)
9. Gray Heron (all over)
10. Eurasian Moorhen (Malieveld)
11. Eurasian Coot (Malieveld)
12. Eurasian Oystercatcher* (Scheveningen on the rocks and beach)
13. Ruddy Turnstone (Scheveningen, all over the harbor, they were amazingly tame and were approaching fisherman for scraps)
14. Black-headed Gull (all over)
15. Mew Gull (all over)
16. Herring Gull (all over)
17. Lesser Black-backed Gull (Scheveningen, several swimming or perched near harbor)
18. Rock Pigeon (all over)
19. Common Wood-Pigeon (Malieveld and on highway medians)
20. Common Kingfisher (Scheveningen flying over the harbor)
21. Rose-ringed Parakeet (all over)
22. Eurasian Magpie (all over)
23. Eurasian Jackdaw (all over, including on the beach)
24. Carrion Crow (all over, including on the beach)
25. Eurasian Blue Tit (all over)
26. Great Tit (Scheveningen in a small garden on an alley south of the beach)
27. Eurasian Blackbird (all over)
28. European Starling (all over, though not as common as I expected)
29. Dunnock* (one seen in a garden a couple of km from the beach)
30. Brambling (two seen in a garden a couple of km from the beach)
31. House Sparrow (all over)

Thanks again for the suggestion, Peter!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back