• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Locales around Orlando (1 Viewer)

chris baker

Hi Folks,

Off to I'Drive for 2 weeks end of the month. I been right thro this section and picked up a few places.

1. Merrit Island and Lake Woodruff
2. Joe overstreet Landing and Three Lakes Water Management Area

Most of the previous enquiries were about touring Florida hence suggestions were made all over Florida. I dont mind driving for a couple of hours so if anyone has any top tips within a 2 hour radius I'd be much obliged. Also any good areas in Orlando itself. One of my daughters is coming along so the way I see it, I drop them off for their shopping trips and I disappear to the nearest birding spot - everyone's happy!!!

Finally if any of our US members would like to hook up for a day's birding, give me the nod, it would be very nice having a local expert along!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Chris B.

Oh,

Forgot to mention I've downloaded the Florida Birding Trail info so I've got a wealth of places, however as we all know some are a lot better than others.

CB

chris baker said:
Oh,

Forgot to mention I've downloaded the Florida Birding Trail info so I've got a wealth of places, however as we all know some are a lot better than others.

CB
Hi Chris - I'm going to Orlando with the family myself next August so hope to pick up a few North American species there too. Shouldn't be too difficult as my previous visits to the States were well before taking an interest in birds unfortunately.

There's at least one report on Surfbirds by someone who birded around Orlando while fitting in the normal family commitments. Might be worth having a look if you haven't already.

Thanks for that, I've just become a member of Surfbirds as well. Good steer, a well written report it was as well. I can't wait!!

Thanks again

CB

I'm going to be in Orlando for the first week of Dicember to do some birding and I was planning to og to Merrit and now I see that theres a few goods ones you've listed there so I'll have to check them out. In Orlando the only good place that I've found is Turkey Lake that pretty good fro birding. At least thast what they say.
Thanks and good luck.

All the places mentioned so far are worth a visit, particularly Merritt Island at this time of year. Inland, Lyonia Preserve, Map 9, number 46 is great for 'tame' Florida Scrub-jays.
I've been in the Orlando area for the past few weeks and have been struck by and saddened by the Hurricane damage, which I'm convinced has severely depleted bird numbers locally.
Magnolia Park and Tibet-Butler Preserve are two sites that are closed at present, which I used to enjoy, so before using the FBT Guide, it would be worth checking the current status before visiting sites.The website gives the current status, 1 Nov at present.
Generally speaking, the coastal sites are currently by far the most productive birding locations. Please PM me for any specific info you may require.
I'm likely to be back in the UK when you visit, but if things change, I'd be glad to show you around a few places. Have a great Trip!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back