• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the Pocono's - Pennsylvania (1 Viewer)

PONYRCR

This summer we are attending a family reunion in the Pocono's in Pennsylvania.

I'm really looking forward to this as it will give me a chance to see lots of birds I don't get to see living in Southern California.

I've bought several field guides for birds in Pennsylvania, but is anyone familiar with the Poconos?

What kinds of birds can I expect to see while we are there?

I am not an expert on the Poconos, but we drive through there at least 5-6 times a year. The best place is the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. You have, of course, the Delaware river, and there is forest all around. Depending on when in the summer, I would keep an eye out for all the eastern warblers, thrushes, those types. And then along the river proper you are bound to see Bald Eagles, kingfishers, and a number of other species like Kingbirds, etc. Those are who I would study up on. You really have to look for secluded places though. The Poconos, as far as I am concerned, is turning into a real touristy eyesore. But along the Delaware, it still seems pretty decent.

Have a good trip!

Elizabeth

www.peec.org is the web address for a site that will provide most of the common birds of eastern PA. On the NJ side, be sure to drive Old Mine Road through the Water Gap for breeding warblers.
I know nothing about this: http://www.audubonslehigh.org/, but it may prove useful.
Enjoy your visit!

PONYRCR said:

I'm really looking forward to this as it will give me a chance to see lots of birds I don't get to see living in Southern California.

I've bought several field guides for birds in Pennsylvania, but is anyone familiar with the Poconos?

Rick hit the better known sites. The swamp behing the Water Gap headquarters building on the PA side has breeding red-headed woodpeckers among the several woodpecker species found there. Tobyhanna State Park has some breeding boreal species not easily found elsewhere in eastern PA. Promised Land State Park has a good reputation, too, though I've never birded there.

The Lehigh Valley Audubon Society webpage (http://www.lehigh.edu/~bcm0/lvas.html) lists some sites on the southern edge of the region. The book "Birds of the Lehigh Valley" published by the LVAS could also be usefull, especially for its charts on what's around when.

Where in the Poconos will you be? Any particular species you're targeting?

Jeff hopkins said:
Rick hit the better known sites. The swamp behing the Water Gap headquarters building on the PA side has breeding red-headed woodpeckers among the several woodpecker species found there. Tobyhanna State Park has some breeding boreal species not easily found elsewhere in eastern PA. Promised Land State Park has a good reputation, too, though I've never birded there.

The Lehigh Valley Audubon Society webpage (http://www.lehigh.edu/~bcm0/lvas.html) lists some sites on the southern edge of the region. The book "Birds of the Lehigh Valley" published by the LVAS could also be usefull, especially for its charts on what's around when.

Where in the Poconos will you be? Any particular species you're targeting?

We will be staying at the Pocono Manor. My cousin owns it, and she is putting the family up there for the reunion.

My target bird is a Pileated Woodpecker. We don't see those around Los Angeles so it's number one on my hit list. I'm also hoping to see an Indigo Bunting. But I'll be thrilled to add any new birds to my life list.

Getting to go East is a treat because I get to see lots of birds that we just don't have on the West Coast.

We will also be spending time in Philadelphia and Hersey.

In Philadelphia don't miss the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge. Located near the Philadelphia International Airport it is a great spot for birding. Over 300 birds have been spotted at the refuge with about 80 species breeding there. The habitat is varied with freshwater tidal marsh, tidal creek, meadows, low land woods, and ponds.

www.fws.gov/northeast/heinz

They have giuded bird walks on the weekend.

Pocono Manor is about 5 miles from Tobyhanna, so getting there should be a breeze. The Water Gap is a little further, but still easily reachable. Avoid the weekend if you can, because the traffic gets horrendous on the PA side when the Marshall's Creek Flea Market is open. The DWG headquarters does have pileateds, so that's a possible site for them. You're basically looking for large contiguous tracts of woodland.

Indigo buntings are also quite common, once you know their song. Listen for paired notes (Cheep, cheep, churry, churry, chip chip, ping, ping....pause....repeat). Their preferred habitat is open areas with tall trees on the edges. Farm plots divided by tree lines are where they're most often found near me, but we do find them along the roads that go over the mountains, especially where there's an open patch.

If you're passing through the Allentown area on your way to Philly, and still haven't found an indigo, give me a ring. They're common breeders within 5 miles of my home.

I'm familiar with the poconos. Poconos is a big area , 2500 square miles so I don't know if you would see all the birds I see in my own front yard.
Cardinals, Titmouse, Nuthatch, Chickadees, different sparrows and finches, bluejays, Indigo Buntings, Redbelly Woodpeckers, Downey woodpeckers, Hairy Woodpeckers, Catbirds, Mockingbirds, Robins, Grackels, Baltimore Orioles, Tree Sparrows, Northern Flickers, Mourning doves brownheaded cowbirds, coopers hawk, red shinned hawks, turkey vulture, blue heron among a few birds. Enjoy your stay in the Poconos.

Pocono Manor is about 5 miles from Tobyhanna, so getting there should be a breeze. The Water Gap is a little further, but still easily reachable. Avoid the weekend if you can, because the traffic gets horrendous on the PA side when the Marshall's Creek Flea Market is open. The DWG headquarters does have pileateds, so that's a possible site for them. You're basically looking for large contiguous tracts of woodland.

Indigo buntings are also quite common, once you know their song. Listen for paired notes (Cheep, cheep, churry, churry, chip chip, ping, ping....pause....repeat). Their preferred habitat is open areas with tall trees on the edges. Farm plots divided by tree lines are where they're most often found near me, but we do find them along the roads that go over the mountains, especially where there's an open patch.

If you're passing through the Allentown area on your way to Philly, and still haven't found an indigo, give me a ring. They're common breeders within 5 miles of my home.

Jeff, I would love to see more of the Indigo Buntings, I haven't seen a lot of them here. The pesky grackels have scared them off the feeders. :-@ I can't phone because I am deaf but I can speak. Can I email you about seeing the buntings?
Diane

www.peec.org is the web address for a site that will provide most of the common birds of eastern PA. On the NJ side, be sure to drive Old Mine Road through the Water Gap for breeding warblers.
I know nothing about this: http://www.audubonslehigh.org/, but it may prove useful.
Enjoy your visit![/QUOTEI

The website www.audubonslehigh.org is about an auto tour near where I live. I've been over all those roads hundreds of times over the years but never as a tour. I can assure you the drive will be a very pleasant experience. If you choose to try it do stop at Hickory Run State Park and spend some time there. The Park Rangers at the entrance office can give you birding information. It's a popular place on the weekend so try to visit it during a week day.

There are also some very nice birding trails here: www.skytop.com. It's about 20 miles from Pocono Manor near Canadensis, Pa. You will probably need a day pass from the lodge. Call them first. They have a full time Naturalist on staff.

Have a nice vacation,
Bob

I visted the Poconos recently (late May) and all the migrants had passed through, or were lying low, so all I noted were breeders. On a three night outing, I saw 1 Broad-winged Hawk, 1 Pileated Woodpecker (and another just over the border in NY flying over the highway), dozens of Red-eyed Vireo, 3Yellow-throated Vireo (listen for their distinctive buzzy vireo song), 2 Purple Finches, many Chipping Sparrows, and many Baltimore Orioles.

I visted the Poconos recently (late May) and all the migrants had passed through, or were lying low, so all I noted were breeders. On a three night outing, I saw 1 Broad-winged Hawk, 1 Pileated Woodpecker (and another just over the border in NY flying over the highway), dozens of Red-eyed Vireo, 3Yellow-throated Vireo (listen for their distinctive buzzy vireo song), 2 Purple Finches, many Chipping Sparrows, and many Baltimore Orioles.

I'll be happy if I see most of the birds you've listed. All but the Purple Finch would be life birds for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back