• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Northants (1 Viewer)

Hi Mark, I'm envious of your Sanderling as I don't think that I've seen one in the county in nearly 40 years of birding. I recently saw Raven, Buzzard, Red Kite and Peregrine within 10 minutes of each other in the north of the county, if I'd claimed that 10 years ago I would have been forced to take a drugs test.

James.

Unfortunately I did not see the Sanderling myself, it was seen by another keen local birder, I think my last one in Northants was in the nineties at Pitsford Res

Mark

Had a nice addition to my garden list this afternoon in the elegant shape of a Little Egret flying over. This is only the 3rd one I've seen in Corby although they do appear in the Welland Valley with some frequency.

James.

Garden tick for me too also today : Reed Bunting, although its not strictly the garden , but a little tree area opposite my house where I hang seed feeders, also not Northants really, but Common Buzzard and Peregrine Falcon just outside Coventry city center !

I think it's OK to stretch the boundaries a bit for quality stuff like Peregrines. Personally I'm hoping they might move the boundaries a smidge to include Eyebrook!

James.

The Med Gull is still at Summerleys on the island with the Black-headeds if anyone's interested. I saw my first Swallow of the year there too and a Peregrine flew west putting the gulls up. Avocet at CHGP on the new lagoons so things are hotting up in the cold conditions!

Here's a shot of this attractive gull from today.

Attachments

• Med.jpg
    Med.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 61
The Med Gull is still at Summerleys on the island with the Black-headeds if anyone's interested. I saw my first Swallow of the year there too and a Peregrine flew west putting the gulls up. Avocet at CHGP on the new lagoons so things are hotting up in the cold conditions!

Whereabouts are the lagoons at Clifford, Dave? Good to hear that new habitat is being developed there, even if I'm not likely to get there to see it for a while!

Whereabouts are the lagoons at Clifford, Dave? Good to hear that new habitat is being developed there, even if I'm not likely to get there to see it for a while!

Hi Andrew, how's it going?

The lagoons are at the end of the central spit, here's a shot from September 2013 when they were being created.

Attachments

• CHGP.jpg
    CHGP.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 66
Hi Andrew, how's it going?

The lagoons are at the end of the central spit, here's a shot from September 2013 when they were being created.

I'm good thanks, although pining for the joys of Clifford obviously.

Looks interesting - I'll have to visit next time I'm in town (not sure when that'll be though).

I spent the day out and about in the county starting off at Summer Leys where the Med Gull was still showing very well on the Black-head island. Had very good views and as REV has said it is a very attractive bird. A couple of Cetti's Warblers were singing around the reserve along with good numbers of Chiffchaff. Managed decent views of a Little Ringed Plover while my brother had a brief sighting of Brambling.

Went on to Clifford Hill with the hope of catching up with the reported Avocet and saw 9 instead. The flock was briefly flushed by a remote controlled aeroplane ( it's probably just as well that the pilots couldn't hear what I called them ) but they returned shortly afterwards. A couple of Oystercatchers were also present but not a great deal else.

Last stop was Harrington Airfield where I hoped to see Grey Partridge ( didn't know about the Ring Ouzel ) but had no joy. Plenty of Reed Buntings and Yellowhammers around but not much else.

A good day for Buzzard fans with plenty about including 5 over Rothwell.

James.

Went on to Clifford Hill with the hope of catching up with the reported Avocet and saw 9 instead. The flock was briefly flushed by a remote controlled aeroplane ( it's probably just as well that the pilots couldn't hear what I called them ) but they returned shortly afterwards.

This must be the most ridiculous SSSI anywhere in the world. Signs warn of fines of up to £20000 for disturbance yet shooting takes place every Tuesday during winter, locals exercise their dogs round the edge and fishermen park their vehicles so as to cause the most disturbance possible. Hot-air balloonists try to touch the water and kite surfers put up whatever birds are left. Seriously!

My favourite is the rocket launcher though. You couldn't make it up.

Attachments

• CHGP2.jpg
    CHGP2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 64
  • CHGP3.jpg
    CHGP3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 58
  • CHGP5.jpg
    CHGP5.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 59
  • CHGP4.jpg
    CHGP4.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 60
Hi Dave, not sorry I missed the rocket launcher as the aeroplane was more than enough to be getting on with.

I'm afraid my obsession with migrants is reaching Farage type levels though unlike that gentleman I'm not given to standing on the cliffs of Dover shaking a fist in the vague direction of Brussels but lamenting the lack of 'em! So it continued today as a walk around the patch revealed nothing new though Chiffchaffs are well established with 6 singing birds about. A couple of Teal lingering but nothing else birdwise. It was a nice morning for butterflies as there were plenty of Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells and a couple of Brimstones flitting around.

Back at home my failed attempt to get it designated a wildflower meadow meant I had to cut the collection of grass and weeds that might charitably pass as a lawn. While doing so a female Sparrowhawk circled overhead and that gave me an idea. Chores done I sat in the garden seeing if I could detect any vizmig although my wife seemed to think it was an excuse to loaf about drinking cider. Although a few Meadow Pipits and Lesser Black-backs were going through it was mostly raptors that held my interest. Regular sightings of both Buzzard and Red Kite were overshadowed by a large female Peregrine which passed over fairly low causing a great deal of panic amongst the local birds. I could get used to letting the birds come to me.

James.

Clifford Hill: the new Minsmere. I knew it would happen one day.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I planted the phragmites at the western end of the barrage in 1986 though I suspect breeding Bitterns & Marsh Harriers are still some time away.

Hi Dave, not sorry I missed the rocket launcher as the aeroplane was more than enough to be getting on with.

I'm afraid my obsession with migrants is reaching Farage type levels though unlike that gentleman I'm not given to standing on the cliffs of Dover shaking a fist in the vague direction of Brussels but lamenting the lack of 'em!
James.

Not a migrant but I actually saw the singing Cetti's at Summerleys today from the Rotary Club hide while photographing the Med Gull. No sign of any Avocets at CHGP today or anything else for that matter, too hot. B :)

Attachments

• Med.jpg
    Med.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 67

Lovely shot of this Gull Dave !!

Mark

The garden is enjoying a bit of a purple patch at the moment, a fly-by Kingfisher was the second I've seen and fitted in well with the other recent goodies.

James.

As a smoker who is banned from smoking indoors I spend a lot of time in the garden, I'm mentioning this because a little after midnight this morning I heard an Oystercatcher passing overhead. It called 7 or 8 times as it passed over, the biggest surprise was that I could hear it at all over the noise of the revellers staggering down the nearby High Street.

Things are picking up on the patch and the Chiffchaffs now have some company in the form of at least 3 Willow Warblers and 2 Blackcaps. The pair of Grey Wagtails are still hanging about and the Kingfishers are still fairly active.

The only butterfly today was a Peacock, they seem to be more tolerant of colder blustery conditions than some other species.

James.

Did quite a tour of duty today taking in South Wood, Weldon and the patch and successfully managed to avoid seeing any new migrants whatsoever.

Willow Warblers have certainly made up for lost time, I heard 20+ birds during the day and 2 or 3 Blackcaps too. Pleasantly surprised by the numbers of Song Thrushes as well, they seem to be doing rather good locally. Song flighting Meadow Pipit was nice as the local breeding population has declined a lot since its peak in the 80s and 90s.

At the A43 balancing pond duck numbers remain high with double figure counts still of Tufty and Gadwall. Greylag numbers had risen to 11 despite the constant hassle they get from the cob swan. Star bird here was a Canada Goose, a site first and also new for the Corby year list. I've got photos too in case anyone doubts this great rarity!

Found a Red Kite nest but luckily it was in an area that I don't visit very often so avoiding any further disturbance will not be a problem.

Non birding stuff was fairly depressing with 2 dead Badgers being the most noteworthy, no cull will ever put paid to as many Badgers as cars do. Fallow Deer and a few Rabbits were the only other things worth mentioning.

James.

A quick scan of a new area to me near Daventry on Sunday ( Newnham Windmill ) which has a dis - used windmill on it , locally known as the pepper pot, produced a surprising 3 Ring Ouzels !, with 1 Male and 2 Female types, this later upgraded to 4 birds as reported by local birders, and then 2 Male Redstart in the same area, today they are still in the same area today although the Ouzels were a little further away on fields and hedges, park at the top of the hill , ( Daventry Road off London Road ) park in small layby on left and look towards Scrap yard and lake. R.Ouzels are on right and Redstarts on track which leads to farm
SP 57816 60765
P.s first swallow today

Regards from Mark

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back