• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In El Rompido (costa De La Luz) May 08th-23rd 2008 (1 Viewer)

MikeJenx

El Rompido is a small fishing village situated about 20km West of Huelva on the Atlantic coast of Southern Spain. The village lies on the estuary of the River Piedros and faces a sandy spit called La Flech (the arrow) which stretches for a distance of about 10km, separating the mainland from the ocean.

We stayed on a package deal in the Hotel Club Marismas which was situated about a mile West of the village and which gave access to a Natural Park accessed via a path way across the golf course. The location was chosen with a view to maximising the amount of birding which could be done within walking distance of the hotel. There was also a free Noddy train from the hotel to El Rompido and a free bus service which you could use to travel to within a short walk of Laguna El Portil, a large fresh water lake , about 5km to the East. A boat trip from El Rompido to La fletch cost only 2 euros..

HABITATS

The hotel and grounds
We were fortunate to have a third story room facing towards the golf course and a small lake which formed part of it. Over the two weeks the view produced many good birds including azure winged magpie (lifer) woodchat and southern grey shrikes, hoopoe (nesting in the base of a stubby tree), cattle and little egrets, spotless starling, crested lark, red rumped swallow, spoonbill, bee eater, white stork. Near the front entrance to the hotel there was a small colony of tree sparrows.

The balcony hi-light was a booted eagle (lifer) which flew low over the hotel allowing time for a photograph.

Piedros Natural Park
This area consisted of an area of stone pine woodland, open grassy areas and marsh. There were a fish farm ponds and a wet meadow area which were attractive to birds. All the birds seen around the hotel were present in this area. Additional sightings included serin, corn bunting, Sardinian warbler, great white egret, red legged partridge, little owl.

The area hi light was several sightings of male golden orioles (lifer) which was a bird I have wanted to see since thumbing through the observers book of birds as a child.

Piedros Pool
This small pool lies within the Piedros Park but was so productive, I have listed it separately. The pool had a tiny reed bed and long grass around it’s edges. The pool held a small party of gadwall and the fringes were attractive to cattle egret, black winged stilt and a white stork would occasionally visit. Fan tailed warbler was numerous in bushes around the pool. The only kingfisher of the holiday was seen here.

I visited the pool most days and regularly added to my list even towards the end of my stay. Exclusives here included two squacco heron, a pair of purple gallinules and a fabulous hawking whiskered tern. I was also provided with my first sighting of a wild otter which showed to a distance of about 20m.

This pool was five minutes walk across the golf course from the hotel and is best viewed from the seaward side. For anybody staying at the hotel this would make an excellent pre breakfast/late evening haunt

Piedros Marsh
A large expanse of dried salt marsh lies to the north and west of the hotel. I didn’t bother with this area until the last few days as the two tracks leading across the marsh had been closed for construction work. However, from the road passing the hotel, the area produced some excellent birds. These included Marsh harrier, booted eagle and a pair of stone curlews.

The hi light for me was twice watching a male montagu’s harrier (lifer) making a pass at some black winged stilts which appeared to be nesting beside a small pond.

El Rompido village and La Fletch
The sand and mud flats at the eastern end of the village were excellent for terns and waders. Little, common , sandwich and black terns in mixed groups were ever present and all four species provided excellent photographic opportunities. The waders included little ringed, ringed and Kentish plovers. Sanderling, knot and grey plovers were resplendent in summer plumage. Whimbrels were numerous and turnstone, bar tailed godwit and dunlin made up a decent list. La Flech was disappointing with gannet and blue headed wagtail the only additions of note. The boat trip and the southern shore provide good views of the terns. The village itself consists of low rise whitewashed buildings and the restaurants around the village square offer excellent fresh sea food.

Other sites
I visited Laguna El Portil twice but was slightly under whelmed. I did add red crested pochard, pochard, green shank, avocet and common sand piper to my list but had hoped for more. The place looks fantastic and other observers who have submitted reports have enjoyed success here including white headed duck.

We took a bus trip to Huelva and added greater flamingo and mute swan which were seen at the Salinas north of Punto Umbria.

Conclusion
Although my total list was only 73 and only 4 lifers were added, I was happy with the quantity of good birds I had seen and the quality of the views they afforded. Notable absentees from my list were small passerines such as tits, finches , and warblers. It is probable that the migration had already been and gone by early May, particularly this far south. In addition, I am rubbish at spotting birds and usually rely on other people to point them out to me so I am sure that there were many species which simply passed me by.

This is an ideal place for a birder with a family as it is easy to find good birds in and around the hotel complex. For the birder who wants to hire a car and travel further a field Isla Christella and Punta Umbria are within half an hour drive. A reservoir above the town of Cartaya would probably yield species not so readily encountered near the coast. Finally, I should mention that the famous Coto Donanna lies only 60km to the east and would be easily accessed as a day trip.

Absolutely a nice place for birding, "río Piedras" and a lot of places in Huelva´s and Cádiz costa´s. Hope to be there soon!! Maybe this summer.

Thank you both for your comments. One of the attractions of the holiday was that there was not a myriad of trip reports covering the area. This allowed me to experience the highs and lows for myself.

I have birded in Majorca and Lesvos in past years and these places are so well reported you know what you will see before you get there. Then you are left frustated because you didn't see everything which previous reporters saw.

El Rompido is featured in Ernest and Garcia's "Where to watch birds in Southern and western Spain" but with such a large and bird rich area to cover, the book provides only an overview of the places to visit and what can be seen.

I have attempted to attach some photographs from the holiday.

Attachments

• A Booted eagle.JPG
    A Booted eagle.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 160
  • A black winged stilt.JPG
    A black winged stilt.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 137
  • A Squacco heron.JPG
    A Squacco heron.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Azure winged magpie.JPG
    Azure winged magpie.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 154
  • A Sothern grey shrike(2).JPG
    A Sothern grey shrike(2).JPG
    96 KB · Views: 145
The tern's of El Rompido - Spring collection 2008.

Attachments

• A Little tern.JPG
    A Little tern.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 144
  • A Common tern.JPG
    A Common tern.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 139
  • A sandwhich tern.JPG
    A sandwhich tern.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 126
  • A Black tern(1).JPG
    A Black tern(1).JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 139
  • A Whiskered tern.JPG
    A Whiskered tern.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 140
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back