• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird identification question (1 Viewer)

Colleen54

United States
I live in central florida and provide seed and woodpecker suet for the birds. I have cardinals, blue jays, thrashers, mockingbirds and the occasional bunting.

I have a new bird now and thought it was a mockingbird but not sure now. The bird is the size of a mockingbird, but is medium grey on the body and face, has black on the top of his head, a black beak and is red under his tail by the body. Seems to prefer the suet. Today there were 5 of them out there all at one time which the other birds don’t do. I also thought it might be a catbird.

Can someone help me identify this bird? Thank you in advance.

Grey catbird indeed. The brick-red vent is something most people don't notice right away, you have a good eye for detail.

300px-42923catbird_3.jpg

I live in central florida and provide seed and woodpecker suet for the birds. I have cardinals, blue jays, thrashers, mockingbirds and the occasional bunting.

I have a new bird now and thought it was a mockingbird but not sure now. The bird is the size of a mockingbird, but is medium grey on the body and face, has black on the top of his head, a black beak and is red under his tail by the body. Seems to prefer the suet. Today there were 5 of them out there all at one time which the other birds don’t do. I also thought it might be a catbird.

Can someone help me identify this bird? Thank you in advance.
Here are a couple of pictures I got.

Attachments

• IMG_6014.jpeg
    IMG_6014.jpeg
    907.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5999.jpeg
    IMG_5999.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back