• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (2 Viewers)

Well Bjorn in your ms do ensure that all Americans born before 1776 are called British and be especially careful of the birth place of those born between 1940 and 1944.

Well Bjorn in your ms do ensure that all Americans born before 1776 are called British ...
Thanks for the concern, Paul, but, nope, I will not call the American guy commemorated in montezuma/e British. :rolleyes:

However, joking apart, for now (in this particular thread) let us stay in Eastern Europe ... ;)

Last edited:
• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (10): Arkadij Jakovlevič Tugarinov (1880–1948), Avifaunist Zentralsibiriens, Begründer der russischen Paläornithologie und Spezialist für die Anseriformes, by Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 65 (11/12): pp.323–328 (2013) = here.

Commemorated in one (extinct) Magpie ssp. tugarinovi [see the Key, here]:
tugarinovi
Prof. Arkady Yakovlevich Tugarinov (1880-1948) Russian ornithologist (‡ subsp. Pica pica).

As well Author (Auctor) of several Birds (as Tugarinov, a k a Tugarinow), thereby listed by Zoonomen as:
Tugarinov, Arkady Ya. 1880-1948

This guy was earlier mentioned by Laurent (back in April 2021), in context, in the thread Perisoreus infaustus rogosowi Sushkin & B. Stegmann, 1929, as: "Arkadiy Yakovlevich Tugarinov" (here).

Disclaimer; He's not included in my MS, nor in my notes, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

---

To be continued ... (with the next publication in this series)​

• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (11): Sergej Ivanovič Snigirevskij (1895–1955), Naturschützer und intimer Kenner der Raufußhühner, by Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 66 (1/2): pp.49–52 (2014) = here.

Commemorated in the invalid "Sylvia curruca snigirewskii " STACHANOW 1929 [see the Key, here]:
snigirewskii
Sergey Ivanovich Snigirevskiy (1895-1955) Russian ornithologist, collector (syn. Curruca curruca minula).

Also Author (Auctor) of quite a few taxa (as Snigirewski). Zoonomen has him as (nothing but):
Snigirewski, S

Earlier dealt with (back in April 2020) in thread Sylvia curruca snigirewskii Stackhanow 1929 (here).

Disclaimer; this guy is not included in my MS, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

---

To be continued ... (with the next publication in this series)​

• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (12): Hans Christian Johansen (18971973), Waldläufer und Avifaunist, Systematiker und Chronist der ornithologischen Erforschung Westsibiriens, by Uwe Alex. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 66 (5/6): pp.161–165 (2014) [unseen by me]

Commemorated in one johanseni ssp. [see the Key, here]:
johanseni
Prof. Hans Johansen (1897-1973) Danish ornithologist, collector, explorer, resident in Siberia 1916-1937, Head of Bird Ringing Centre, University of Copenhagen 1943-1960 (subsp. Anser fabalis).
[...]

He's the Author (Auctor) of Oriolus oriolus "sibiricus" Johansen 1944, and "Anthus gustavi commandorensis"Johansen 1952, as well as "Turdus eunomus turuchanensis" Johansen 1954, thereby listed by Zoonomen as:
Johansen,HC
Johansen, Hans Christian 1897-1973

b. Dec. 2, 1897 Riga, Lettonia
d. Dec. 18, 1973 Lyngby

Earlier dealt with (back in March 2020) in thread A Russian Paper (here, in PS., in post #5).

Disclaimer; this guy is not included in my MS, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above, ...

---

To be continued ... (with the next publication in this series)

⏳​

Last edited:
Commemorated in one (extinct) Magpie ssp. tugarinovi [see the Key, here]:
tugarinovi
Prof. Arkady Yakovlevich Tugarinov (1880-1948) Russian ornithologist (‡ subsp. Pica pica).
(Tugarinov is further commemorated in the names of a couple of other fossil birds, which are not included in the Key -- Eobalearica tugarinovi Gureev 1949, Palaeoaramides tugarinovi Kurochkin 1980, Aegypius tugarinovi Manegold & Zelenkov 2015 -- you can search Fred's posts in the paleontology subforum for these.)

Commemorated in the invalid "Sylvia curruca snigirewskii " STACHANOW 1929 [see the Key, here]:
snigirewskii
Sergey Ivanovich Snigirevskiy (1895-1955) Russian ornithologist, collector (syn. Curruca curruca minula).

Commemorated in one johanseni ssp. [see the Key, here]:
johanseni
● Prof. Hans Johansen (1897-1973) Danish ornithologist, collector, explorer, resident in Siberia 1916-1937, Head of Bird Ringing Centre, University of Copenhagen 1943-1960 (subsp. Anser fabalis).
● [...]
Obituary (in Danish):
Løppenthin B. 1974. Personalia: Hans Christian Johansen, 2. december 1897 - 18. december 1973. Dansk Ornithol. Forenings Tidsskr., 68: 71-76.

Last edited:
Biographical entry for Hans Johansen in the Dansk Biografisk Leksikon

• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (13): Jevgenij Pavlovič Spangenberg (18981968), Sammler, Feldornithologe und Naturforscher, by Uwe Alex. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 66 (9/10): pp.267–270 (2014) [unseen by me]

Commemorated in one (invalid) spangenbergi taxon [see the Key, here]:
spangenbergi
Evgeniy Pavlovich Spangenberg (1898-1968) Russian ornithologist, oologist, collector (syn. Dendrocopos leucopterus).

He is not listed among the Authors in Zoonomen, nor has he been dealt with earlier here on BirdForum (not at all, not in any way) ...

Disclaimer; Mr Spangenberg is not included in my MS, nor in my notes, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

---

Last edited:
• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (14): Gustav Radde (18311903), Universeller Naturwissenschaftler und Pionier der wissenschaftlichen Erforschung des Kaukasus, by Uwe Alex. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 66 (11/12): pp.325–328 (2014) [unseen by me]

Commemorated in several raddei Birds [see the Key, here]:
raddei
Gustav Ferdinand Richard Radde (1831-1903) Prussian naturalist, explorer in Siberia and the Caucasus (syn. Buteo rufinus, syn. Circaetus gallicus, subsp. Cyanistes caeruleus, syn. Falco amurensis, syn. Ficedula semitorquata, syn. Gallinago gallinago, Lanius collurio x Lanius isabellinus hybrid, syn. Melanocorypha calandra psammochroma, syn. Motacilla flava feldegg, syn. Panurus biarmicus russicus, syn. Remiz pendulinus, syn.Tetraogallus caspius).

He's also the Author (Auctor) of several taxa (as Radde), thus, listed by Zoonomen as:
Radde, Gustav Ferdinand Richard (von) 1831-1903

Russia

I don't think neither he, nor any of his Birds, ever have been discussed here on the Bird Name Etmology sub-forum.

Disclaimer; in my MS this guy is only mentioned (in context, not in an entry of his own) as just "Gustav Radde", the describer of Baer's Pochard Aythya baeri (Radde, 1863), thereby not checked any further than what's told above.

---

• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (15): Janusz Witold Domaniewski (1891–1954), Polnischer Taxonom und Zoogeograf, Autor des Artkonzeptes der Con- und Prospezies, by Uwe Alex. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 67 (1/2): pp.41–44 (2015) [unseen by me]

Commemorated in a few (all invalid) domaniewskii Birds [see the Key, here]:
domaniewskii
Prof. Janusz Witold Domaniewski (1891-1954) Polish zoologist, ornithologist (syn. Haplophaedia assimilis affinis, syn. Lanius collurio, syn. Sitta europaea).

Also Author (Auctor) of several taxa (as Domaniewski). Zoonomen list him as (nothing but):
Domaniewski, J.

The only time he, or any of his Birds, ever have been discussed on the Bird Name Etymology sub-forum is/was; here, and here (though not regarding any of his personal details).

Disclaimer, in my MS I have him as just Mr "Domaniewski", only mentioned briefly, in context, as the describer of the (today equally invalid) taxon "Sitta europaea sztolcmani” (1913), thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

---

⏳​

Commemorated in one (invalid) spangenbergi taxon [see the Key, here]:
spangenbergi
Evgeniy Pavlovich Spangenberg (1898-1968) Russian ornithologist, oologist, collector (syn. Dendrocopos leucopterus).

Commemorated in several raddei Birds [see the Key, here]:
raddei
Gustav Ferdinand Richard Radde (1831-1903) Prussian naturalist, explorer in Siberia and the Caucasus (syn. Buteo rufinus, syn. Circaetus gallicus, subsp. Cyanistes caeruleus, syn. Falco amurensis, syn. Ficedula semitorquata, syn. Gallinago gallinago, Lanius collurio x Lanius isabellinus hybrid, syn. Melanocorypha calandra psammochroma, syn. Motacilla flava feldegg, syn. Panurus biarmicus russicus, syn. Remiz pendulinus, syn.Tetraogallus caspius).
His name is of course familiar to many birders as part of the common name of Radde's Warbler Phylloscopus schwarzi, which he described in 1863.

Commemorated in a few (all invalid) domaniewskii Birds [see the Key, here]:
domaniewskii
Prof. Janusz Witold Domaniewski (1891-1954) Polish zoologist, ornithologist (syn. Haplophaedia assimilis affinis, syn. Lanius collurio, syn. Sitta europaea).

Last edited:
Laurent wrote "the valid name used for this bird was Muscicapa collaris semitorquata; can be an available name only if it was subsequently adopted as the valid name of a taxon or treated as a senior homonym, which I don't think it was"
"M. collaris semitorquata Hom ." used in a 1922 book:
Dr. Kurt Floerickes Vogelbuch . page 289??
"Muscicapa grisola , atricapilla , collaris und collaris semitorquata" in 1903 book.
Zoologische Garten . page 167?

Last edited:
• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (16): Theodor Pleske (1858–1932), Co-Autor vieler Monografien zur Vogelwelt Russlands und Initiator einer „Ornithographia Rossica“, by Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 67 (3/4): pp.99–105 (2015) = here.

Commemorated in quite a few pleskei and pleskii Birds [see the Key, here]:
pleskei / pleskii
Fëdor Eduardovich (Dmitrievich) Pleske (1858-1932) Russian zoologist (Cyanistes hybrid, syn. Falco peregrinus japonensis, Helopsaltes, subsp. Lagopus muta, syn. Phoenicurus ochruros rufiventris, syn. Phylloscopus collybita abietinus, Podoces, subsp. Tetrao urogallus).

He's as well the Author (Auctor) of a number of taxa (as Pleske), thereby listed by Zoonomen as:
Pleske, Theodor 1858-1932
also as Pleske, Theodor Dimitrivitch
Imp. Acad. Sci. St. Petersburg 1886-1896.
Zool. Musem 1893-1897.
[Mearns give 1858-1932]

Also note that the Doyens of Bird Eponyms, Barbara and Richard Mearns, in their upcoming New Edition of their Biographies for Birdwatchers ... (now revised and updated, ending up in two volumes, 2022) seems to use/prefer the (English) version "Theodor Pleske" (at least according to the Flyer attached by Mike, here).

In my Swedish MS (as of today that is) he's: "Fjodor Eduardovitj Pleske (1858–1932), a k a (after the death of his Father Eduard, in 1873): Fjodor Dimitrijevitj Pleske", commemorated in Pleske's Ground Jay Podoces pleskei Zarudny, 1896 (a k a Pleskes ökenskrika, in Swedish). But, maybe I will swap it around, as the OD (from 1896) clearly tell us it's for "F.D. Pleske", and, if so, my MS text might end up the reversed way, with/as: "Fjodor Dimitrijevitj Pleske (1858–1932), born Fjodor Eduardovitj Pleske". Well, see ... either way, it's the same guy. In other languages he's also known as; Fëdor/Fedor/Theodor/Thedor Dmitrievich/Dimitrijevič/Dimitrivich Pleske.

In this sub-forum we've been dealing with Mr Pleske earlier, in three threads: here (#7-12), as well as (some of his texts/birds); here (post #6), and here (#3-4).

---

Last edited:
Laurent wrote "the valid name used for this bird was Muscicapa collaris semitorquata; can be an available name only if it was subsequently adopted as the valid name of a taxon or treated as a senior homonym, which I don't think it was"
"M. collaris semitorquata Hom ." used in a 1922 book:
Dr. Kurt Floerickes Vogelbuch . page 289??
"Muscicapa grisola , atricapilla , collaris und collaris semitorquata" in 1903 book.
Zoologische Garten . page 167?

semitorquata is of course available.

I was talking about the availability of 'raddei', which Blasius wrote that he had found written on specimen labels in Homeyer's hand. Blasius nevertheless placed these specimens under the name semitorquata: he did not adopt raddei as their name. And neither, I think, did any other author after him.
A name that was never given a status other than that of a synonym before 1961 cannot be available. (Not having been initially used as valid, it does not fulfill ICZN 11.5; and neither does it fulfill ICZN 11.6.1, which is the only possible way that a name that does not fulfill 11.5 can become available.)

Commemorated in quite a few pleskei and pleskii Birds [see the Key, here]:
pleskei / pleskii
Fëdor Eduardovich (Dmitrievich) Pleske (1858-1932) Russian zoologist (Cyanistes hybrid, syn. Falco peregrinus japonensis, Helopsaltes, subsp. Lagopus muta, syn. Phoenicurus ochruros rufiventris, syn. Phylloscopus collybita abietinus, Podoces, subsp. Tetrao urogallus).

Last edited:
• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (17): Nikolaj Aleksejevič Zarudnyj (1859–1919), Avifaunist und Taxonom Transkaspiens, Mittelasiens und Persiens, by Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 67 ( 5/6): pp.155–160 (2015) = here.

Commemorated in many sarudnyi and zarudnyi alt. zarudnoi Birds [see the Key, here resp. here]:
sarudnyi
Dr Nikolai Alekseyvich Zarudnyi (1859-1919) Russian ornithologist, collector in Turkistan and Persia, Curator of Tashkent Mus. 1885-1903 (subsp. Caprimulgus europaeus, syn. Francolinus francolinus, subsp. Jynx torquilla, subsp. Muscicapa striata, syn. Oenanthe lugens persica, syn. Turdus pilaris, syn. Turdus viscivorus bonapartei).

zarudnoi / zarudnyi
Dr Nikolai Alekseyvich Zarudnyi (1859-1919) Russian zoologist, collector in Turkistan and Persia, Curator of Tashkent Mus. 1885-1903 (subsp. Acrocephalus arundinaceus, subsp. Ammomanes cinctura, syn. Emberiza schoeniclus pyrrhuloides, Lanius collurio x Lanius isabellinus hybrid, syn. Otus scops pulchellus, Passer, subsp. Phasianus colchicus, syn. Picus squamatus flavirostris, subsp. Sitta neumayer, syn. Turdus pilaris).

He's also the Author (Auctor) of many, many Bird taxa (as Zarudny, and/alt. Sarudny), thus Zoonomen has him as:
Zarudny, Nicolai Alekseyivich d. 1919

[Spelled Zarudny in Orn.Jahrb. 15 and Sarudny Orn.Jahrb. 16.]

Zarudny & Loudon

In my (Swedish) MS he's "Nicolaj Aleksejevitj Zarudnyj (1859–1919)", commemorated in the today dated Swedish Common/Vernacular name/s "Zarudnys ökensparv” (... Desert Sparrow) alt. simply “Zarudnyis [sic] sparv” (.... Sparrow) for the ssp. Passer simplex zarudnyi. In other interpretations/languages he is a k a (Nicolai Alekseyivich) Zarudny, Zarudni, Sarudny, Sarudnyj or Sarudnij. Nowaday's (luckily for me) we Swedes call this species karakumsparv (toponyms are, in most cases, far easier to explain! ;)) The same guy is, as well, mentioned (briefly) in my MS as the describer of the above-mentioned Ground Jay Podoces pleskei Zarudny, 1896.

We've been dealing with his texts, and "his" Birds several times, earlier (see, for example/s; here, and/or here).

Also note that Barbara and Richard Mearns, in the forthcoming New Edition of their Biographies for Birdwatchers ... (now revised and updated, ending up in two volumes, 2022) seems to use the version "Nikolai Zarudny", in English (at least according to the Flyer attached by Mike, here).

---

Last edited:
• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (18): Pavel Vladimirovič Serebrovskij (1888–1942), Evolutionist, Zoogeograf und Paläontologe, by N. Kiseljova & Uwe Alex. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 67 (7/8): pp.219–223 (2015) [unseen by me]

Commemorated in a few serebrowskii, and sserebrowskii alt. sserebrowsky taxa [see the Key, here resp. here (even if somewhat inconsistent!?! My red bolds) ;)]:
serebrowskii
Pavel Vladimirovich Serebrovsky (1893-1942) Russian ornithologist, zoogeographer, died during the siege of Leningrad (syn. Emberiza cia par).

sserebrowskii / sserebrowsky
Pavel Vladimirovich Serebrovskiy (1888-1942) Russian ornithologist (subsp. Lagopus lagopus).

He's equally the Author (Auctor) of quite a few taxa (as Serebrovski, a k a Serebrovsky), thus listed in/by Zoonomen as:
Serebrovski, Pavel Vladomirovich 1888-1942
Serebrovskiy

[?also spelled ? Sserebrowsky]

Earlier dealt with in thread Emberiza cia serebrowskii Johansen, 1944 (here). Also see Laurent's recent post #35 above.

Disclaimer; this guy is not included in my MS, nor in my notes, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

---

In my Swedish MS (as of today that is) he's: "Fjodor Eduardovitj Pleske (1858–1932), a k a (after the death of his Father Eduard, in 1873): Fjodor Dimirijevitj Pleske", commemorated in Pleske's Ground Jay Podoces pleskei Zarudny, 1896 (a k a Pleskes ökenskrika, in Swedish). But, maybe I will swap it around, as the OD (from 1896) clearly tell us it's for "F.D. Pleske", and, if so, my MS text might end up the reversed way, with/as: "Fjodor Dimirijevitj Pleske (1858–1932), born Fjodor Eduardovitj Pleske". Well, see ... either way, it's the same guy. In other languages he's also known as; Fëdor/Fedor/Theodor/Thedor Dmitrievich/Dimitrijevič/Dimitrivich Pleske.

Zarudny's OD is in Russian; there (p. xiii, last paragraph before the signature), Zarudny calls him "Ѳ. Д. Плеске" -- which is indeed consistent with what Pleske did himself (e.g.: t.2:vyp.:1-4 (1889-1890) - Ornithographia rossica - Biodiversity Heritage Library ).
In contemporary Russian sources, his full name appears as Ѳедоръ Дмитріевичъ Плеске (e.g. here, here, here, etc.).

Ѳ (fita) is an archaic Cyrillic letter which derived from Greek θ (theta). It must have initially been pronounced like th, but evolved into being pronounced like f in Russian. In most current romanization systems, ѳ is rendered as or ; however, th has also been used in some contexts. In modern Russian, this letter is entirely disused, being replaced with ф (ef), which is romanized into f -- nowadays, most Russians would probably turn "Ѳедоръ" into Федор or Фёдор without giving it a second thought.

That said, as he was actually born in a family with (Baltic) German origins, and went to a German Lutherian secondary school in St-Petersburg (the St. Petri-Schule), I assume it's quite possible that his baptism name was indeed Theodor (perhaps even "Theodor Eduard" as per, e.g., Wikipedia), while he would otherwise have been officially declared as Ѳедоръ, without a middle name but to which the patronymic Эдуардовичъ would "automatically" have been added (in accordance to Eastern Slavic naming conventions).

(PS - You spell the patronym "Dimirijevitj", which seems odd independently of any romanization system considerations. Shouldn't it be Dmitrijevitj ?)

Last edited:
My (Swedish) version above; "... Dimirijevitj Pleske" should (of course) have been "... Dimitrijevitj Pleske.

My typo, my bad, my slipper fingers. Sorry. 😬

I will double-check the Swedish transcription/transliteration of the "Dimi..."/"Dmi..."-start of it. But the (first) t sure ought to belong there (also in its Swedish version).

Thanks for pointing it out, Laurent! (y)

Last edited:
Commemorated in many sarudnyi and zarudnyi alt. zarudnoi Birds [see the Key, here resp. here]:
sarudnyi
Dr Nikolai Alekseyvich Zarudnyi (1859-1919) Russian ornithologist, collector in Turkistan and Persia, Curator of Tashkent Mus. 1885-1903 (subsp. Caprimulgus europaeus, syn. Francolinus francolinus, subsp. Jynx torquilla, subsp. Muscicapa striata, syn. Oenanthe lugens persica, syn. Turdus pilaris, syn. Turdus viscivorus bonapartei).

zarudnoi / zarudnyi
Dr Nikolai Alekseyvich Zarudnyi (1859-1919) Russian zoologist, collector in Turkistan and Persia, Curator of Tashkent Mus. 1885-1903 (subsp. Acrocephalus arundinaceus, subsp. Ammomanes cinctura, syn. Emberiza schoeniclus pyrrhuloides, Lanius collurio x Lanius isabellinus hybrid, syn. Otus scops pulchellus, Passer, subsp. Phasianus colchicus, syn. Picus squamatus flavirostris, subsp. Sitta neumayer, syn. Turdus pilaris).
This one is not mentioned in the Key:
  • Streptopelia decaocto zarudnyi Serebrovskiy 1927 - snippets: Doklady (= syn. Streptopelia decaocto decaocto)

In other interpretations/languages he is a k a (Nicolai Alekseyivich) Zarudny, Zarudni, Sarudny, Sarudnyj or Sarudnij.

"Alekseyivich" as on Zoonomen is a bit strange. He has also been called Zarudnoi (see OD of Gecinus zarudnoi above) or even (in French) Zaroudnoï (see e.g. t.61:no.1-2 (1885) - Bulletin de la Société impériale des naturalistes de Moscou - Biodiversity Heritage Library ).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back