• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars for extensive marine use (1 Viewer)

So, as my marine binoculars are Opticron Pro Series 2 7x50, and individual focus, does that make me not a 'serious birder'? Just curious...

martin

Hi Martin:

You will not find an argument from me on whatever you use for “serious” birding. If you derive enjoyment from it, I’m ecstatic!

I will say, however, that MOST serious birders wouldn’t dream of using an individual focus bino, unless they were dedicated to shore birds at a distance or raptors in equally distant crags or rock crevices in which focusing speed would not be critical.

The Opticron Pro Series II/Swift Seahawk/Bushnell Navigator/Fujinon AR, or other models from the same OEM, while not the “Alpha” quality that some get twitterpated over, are robust, truly waterproof binos to last a lifetime. In addition, those large oculars—as on the lower version of the Swift Seahawk attached below—are very nice.

Still, if you are trying to follow a bird in flight, or rapid movement of any kind, at a distance close enough for a 7x bino to be of use in identification, an IF bino can be very frustrating.

Cheer,

Bill

Attachments

• Dockside Seahawk 5.jpg
    Dockside Seahawk 5.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 95
I will say, however, that MOST serious birders wouldn’t dream of using an individual focus bino, unless they were dedicated to shore birds at a distance or raptors in equally distant crags or rock crevices in which focusing speed would not be critical.

or dedicated to seabirds at sea ;)

WJC said:
Still, if you are trying to follow a bird in flight, or rapid movement of any kind, at a distance close enough for a 7x bino to be of use in identification, an IF bino can be very frustrating.

I leave my IF binoculars set at a focus point of ~60m, anything closer than that can be ID'd by eye, anything more distant falls within the acceptable depth of field ;)

The bit I've emboldened is obviously a subjective judgement. Onshore I use Dialyt Classic 7x42 (and my wife's Ultravid 7x42), offshore Pro Series II 7x50...and I've yet to find myself wishing for more magnification :t: I was once told, I think in a thread on BF, that serious birders would never use anything less than 8x 3:)

cheers
martin

I leave my IF binoculars set at a focus point of ~60m, anything closer than that can be ID'd by eye, anything more distant falls within the acceptable depth of field ;)

The bit I've emboldened is obviously a subjective judgement. Onshore I use Dialyt Classic 7x42 (and my wife's Ultravid 7x42), offshore Pro Series II 7x50...and I've yet to find myself wishing for more magnification :t: I was once told, I think in a thread on BF, that serious birders would never use anything less than 8x 3:)

cheers
martin

With the Dialyt Class or Ultravid under your arm, you can use whatever you bloody well want. Now all you have to do if find something better than those ocean-going rats to look at. Those near my house have bummed so many French fries, I think they have forgotten how to fly. :-O

Bill

cheers
martin

That's funny, because I use 10X42, and not once have I wished for a smaller image.

Thanks a lot, guys, for all this information. I have made a list with different binos to look for and try, I will tell you what my final decision is... when I make it.

I don't know if the ZEN ED2 is intended as marine binoculars as most of Marine binoculars I have seen are 7x50 size. With its relatively wide field of view 477ft, I found it pleasant to use on my boat. That's something to consider.

I would recommend having two binoculars:

1) Fujinon FMTR-SX 7 x 50 for low-light and critical work.

2) Sightron "Blue Sky" 8 x 32 for everything else.

Thank you falcondude, I took a look to all the Zen-Ray site to have an idea of models.

And thank you longboat. I am thinking in getting some lightweight binoculars for walks and travelling, and getting later the marine ones. I prefer to have just one thing for everything, but I know I can't have all in one.

Wow, so many posts!! :) A good compromise of all worlds: Leupold or Kowa 8x30 porros. Good glass, center focus, good price point.....

Thank you very much for all the nice information you are writing here.

You can see that as I don't know about this subject, I didn't state my needs clearly. I intend to use them for marine life searching and identification, from boats and also from the beach with bad weather, so they need to resist corrosion but also sand during the windy days.

I like the polarised idea after reading Samandag review -really nice review, btw- and those seem very nice too. I use polarised sunglasses most of the day, but I don't know at what point I should pay for that at this moment.

I am deeply grateful for this excellent response, I have a lot of search to do now with all the info you've put here. I feel I've just entered a new unknown world and I need time to digest all this information.

The Byfield Tracker 8x56 polarised binoculars have recently been taken up by the Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service (Queensland, Australia) who are carrying these on their operations (weekends during the regular patrol season, September-May, and during other peak periods. They are also available to be tasked by emergency service organisations 7 days a week).

The service patrols the South-East Queensland coast and carries out beach surveillance, shark warnings, preventative actions, missing person searches and rescues in the water and on the beach.

The Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service is also used for emergency response, searches and rescues, working in conjunction with emergency service organisations including the Queensland Police Service, Queensland Ambulance Service and State Emergency Service.

Here are some uptodate links :

Westpac Lifesaver Helicopter Rescue : http://lifesaving.com.au/wlrhs/

Keep up with Byfield Optics on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Byfield-Optics/425144990856852

Byfield Tracker 8x56 polarised binoculars overview can be found in the Forum's Equipment Reviews section : http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/

I would recommend having two binoculars:

1) Fujinon FMTR-SX 7 x 50 for low-light and critical work.

2) Sightron "Blue Sky" 8 x 32 for everything else.

Of course, the posts will never stop coming. However, Longboat has succinctly nailed it. There is waterproof for Omaha, Dallas, and Little Rock. Then, there is waterproof for the Bearing Sea, Greenland, and Buffalo, New York (you know: where winter was invented). If you want protection in the latter, the Fujinon seals and O-rings will make a difference.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back