• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best time of year to visit Ecuador for a month or so? (1 Viewer)

jimmyjames

Hello Ecuador birders,

I gather December to April is the best time weather wise but what about for birding? Are there any preferred times?
I'm guessing January to March because of Northward Migration?

I've not planned a Galapagos trip due to the expected expense but could easily visit Colombia as well.

What area(s) are you planning to travel to? The four distinct regions of the country have highly variable climate. The rainy season (depending on the region) can be incredible for certain species if you don't mind the weather or hiking in rubber boots :D

Hmm, I hadn't considered the various regions.
There are contrasting climates of the four regions: Sierra-Mountains, Costa-Coast, Oriente-Amazon and Insular-Galapagos, the continental regions all contain micro-climates, even within the same provinces, contributing greatly to the wealth of biodiversity this wonderful country offers.

If you have an idea of what species, or areas you would like to visit, I would be happy to provide recommendations where-ever possible.

There is definitely birds easier to see in the wet season and others that might be easier when you can actually walk around comfortably. If you visit the Umbrellabird lodge, there is one period where they are lekking and other where they may be a bit more difficult to find.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back