• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When to bird the Ecuadorean Amazon? (1 Viewer)

BruceBerman

Supporter
Hopefully, the third time is the charm. Our first planned trip to Ecuador had to be cancelled due to Covid. We had to cancel our trip a second time when my wife's foot didn't heal as well as her doctor said it would, and she still cannot walk more than one hour. BUT, we have faith that she will be able to travel by early summer. We aren't starting from the beginning but in planning different dates we cannot find information on what months are the best to bird in the EC Amazon. Three web sites will suggest three different times of the year.

Looking for input from birdforum birders on this.

Rainy season is June-August in that part of the Amazon. I kind of like birding the rainy season, I feel like Antbirds are more vocal at that time, and I don’t mind gum boots and an umbrella… Tours operate year round, for what it’s worth, though I think Aug-Dec might be most popular?

As an aside, I just had a very successful month in the Brazilian Amazon at the start of the rainy season where I was (November). We lost a couple half days to rain here and there, and used the umbrellas a bit most days, but bird activity was great. Again, just my opinion, and I don’t mind the hassle.

If you want to see when it's the high season, it's best to look around some tour companies and when they hold their trips. Like pbjosh said, the rainy season is in the June-August with most of the itineraries of big tour companies matching between November through April to be in the best part of the dry season (rain is still likely but less amount and more time on the field and chances of Northern migrants).

However, if you are fine with rain a few hours of the day and of course less walking and only having to focus on the year round residents. A trip during the rainy season is great and I know of many birders who did this and still got around 250 species in just 5 days in Sacha Lodge or similar lodges of the Rio Napo region.

As an aside, I just had a very successful month in the Brazilian Amazon at the start of the rainy season where I was (November). We lost a couple half days to rain here and there, and used the umbrellas a bit most days, but bird activity was great. Again, just my opinion, and I don’t mind the hassle.
Thank you for your input. It is very helpful!

If you want to see when it's the high season, it's best to look around some tour companies and when they hold their trips. Like pbjosh said, the rainy season is in the June-August with most of the itineraries of big tour companies matching between November through April to be in the best part of the dry season (rain is still likely but less amount and more time on the field and chances of Northern migrants).

However, if you are fine with rain a few hours of the day and of course less walking and only having to focus on the year round residents. A trip during the rainy season is great and I know of many birders who did this and still got around 250 species in just 5 days in Sacha Lodge or similar lodges of the Rio Napo region.
Great info! Thanks!!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back