• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BBC Filming - Best barn swallow roosting sites in SA? (1 Viewer)

AbiBBC

Hi there,

I work for the BBC Natural History Unit and we are looking for the best sites in South Africa to film the great spectacle of barn swallows roosting for the night. We've read that one of the best sites, Mount Moreland, has had to shut its doors this summer due to low swallow numbers in the last few years. So I was wondering whether anyone knew of any other good sites - we are looking for high numbers of barn swallows.

If you do know of any good sites, please reply on here or feel free to email me on [email protected]

Thanks so much!

Abi

Hi Abi,

Apologies for not replying sooner; Yes, Mount Moreland, sadly, has closed, but this may not be a permanent closure as they are not sure what has caused the drop in numbers and whether things may improve. I have been trying to hunt down any other possible areas. I have someone to phone tomorrow regarding one site, but I understand a local farmer cut and burnt down the reed beds . . . . I hope you have had other, more positive replies.

The fact that the roost has crashed is reflected in the low numbers of birds seen in the UK this year and not only Swallows but the other Hirundine spp and Swift - this is worrying for all concerned. The loss of insect food over areas of the UK and Europe is now causing concern - i am not surprised with the British ‘tidy’ mentality but with scruffy Portugal and Spain birds need to survive in their Wintering area or there will be nothing to either look at or film.....

Laurie -

Can't speak on its status now but there were huge numbers of hirundines roosting at Nsumo pans in uMkhuze Game Reserve when I was there in back in November 2007.

Hi Abi,

Apologies for not replying sooner; Yes, Mount Moreland, sadly, has closed, but this may not be a permanent closure as they are not sure what has caused the drop in numbers and whether things may improve. I have been trying to hunt down any other possible areas. I have someone to phone tomorrow regarding one site, but I understand a local farmer cut and burnt down the reed beds . . . . I hope you have had other, more positive replies.

Hi Sal, thank you so much for your response. Did you manage to get any information from your contact?

The fact that the roost has crashed is reflected in the low numbers of birds seen in the UK this year and not only Swallows but the other Hirundine spp and Swift - this is worrying for all concerned. The loss of insect food over areas of the UK and Europe is now causing concern - i am not surprised with the British ‘tidy’ mentality but with scruffy Portugal and Spain birds need to survive in their Wintering area or there will be nothing to either look at or film.....

Laurie -

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for your helpful response. It is worrying indeed

Hi Abi,
Only that there was apparently a very good roost at Ifafa Lagoon on the south coast of KZN a couple of years ago but apparently the birds moved to another reed bed on the other side of the lagoon and the local farmer there cut and burnt the reed bed . . . . I'm still awaiting another reply. Have you tried contacting BirdLife South Africa direct?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back