• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Base in Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

pandachris

We're considering Sri Lanka for a week in February. My research to date has been minimal and we'll almost certainly look at a late availability package holiday (we have alternative plans, should this fall through).

On recent packages to India, Greece, Tunisia, Gambia and so on we've used our package hotel as a convenient base and have taken trips to stay in more birdy areas. Assuming that we have a choice of 'resort' can anyone suggest a good location to aim for - i.e. within reasonable reach of good birding?

all resorts are in the SW as far as I know. from there it is 2-4 hours drive to areas with endemics and you need to visit at least 2-3 of these to see a good cross section (i.e. Nuwara Elyia (upland stuff), Kitugala and Sinharaja (rainforest stuff)). That said you can see plenty of birds anywhere but there will be much overlap with Goa unless you target the endemics.

Rob

Thanks Rob

Looks like I'll need to do some proper research before we set off.

Are there any orgs offering guided birding tours (i/c overnight stops) within Sri Lanka? We don't mind the two-four hour drives so much - we're used to 4 a.m. starts - but we had a great time at Backwoods, Goa in 2006 and so something like that would be good.

Thanks Rob

Looks like I'll need to do some proper research before we set off.

Are there any orgs offering guided birding tours (i/c overnight stops) within Sri Lanka? We don't mind the two-four hour drives so much - we're used to 4 a.m. starts - but we had a great time at Backwoods, Goa in 2006 and so something like that would be good.

yes, Baurs and Jetwing are two that spring to mind, they can arrange a car and driver who knows the sites and arrange overnight accom etc. Driving yourself would not be advised and a car with driver there is cheaper than a car alone in most parts of the world.

Rob

Hi Chris

worth doing a trip into Ulu Wattawele or Yala parks - excellent value and a great experience. Sinharaja forest is worth a visit too for many of the endemics and Kitulgala is great to - a scenic river used to film Bridge on the River Kwai - great 'lodge' nearby called Sisira's with Frogmouth and Malkoha etc and the hornbill, spurfowl, Serendib Scops etc can be seen over the river in the forest. All at excellent prices.

As Rob says south west area is best for the beaches but the south is good too. Great place, you'll love it.

Thanks both. Sounds like we'd better get out and win some money this weekend!

This looks like an enjoyable session on google sometime between now and Christmas, then I'll start watching those late availability prices.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back