• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn Owls (1 Viewer)

Magnus Kopman

Hello!
I am a Swedish birder who will be visiting Warwickshire next Thursday-Friday, 11-12 June, and I would really like to see a Barn Owl. I have received bad news from Brandon Marsh where there are no breeding birds this year, and no sightings at all since April. I wonder if anybody on this forum could help me with information about some other place in the area where I have a good chance of spotting Barn Owl? Of course an active nest box would be great! The closer to Coventry, the better, but I am willing to travel a longer distance, if necessary.
Regards,
Magnus Köpman
Karlstad, Sweden
E-mail: [email protected]

Last edited:
You could try RSPB Middleton Lakes there is a chance of some I should imagine although I don't visit the reserve at the right time of day to see them.

Hello!
I am a Swedish birder who will be visiting Warwickshire next Thursday-Friday, 11-12 June, and I would really like to see a Barn Owl. I have received bad news from Brandon Marsh where there are no breeding birds this year, and no sightings at all since April. I wonder if anybody on this forum could help me with information about some other place in the area where I have a good chance of spotting Barn Owl? Of course an active nest box would be great! The closer to Coventry, the better, but I am willing to travel a longer distance, if necessary.
Regards,
Magnus Köpman
Karlstad, Sweden
E-mail: [email protected]

I thought nests were out of bounds to disturbance........

Thanks a lot Geoff for the tip about Middleton Lakes! I will definitely try that area on Thursday! Keith, I can assure you that I would be careful not to disturb breeding birds, and I am not a photographer interesting in getting as close as possible to the birds. A good spot from the distance would do fine!

I really can’t believe I’ve stumbled across this thread. The Owl Box at Middleton is empty and I wonder why. Magnus could be anyone – Look at my flag - I’m Swedish today.

Hi Piccalilli.
I am sorry if have upset you and maybe some others by asking for help to find Barn Owls and if possible even information on where to find an active nest box. I probably should not have done that, and I understand that in the cyberworld I certainly could be anyone, possibly with bad intentions. I just want to assure that I am a regular birder who just wanted to see a Barn Owl on my short visit to West Midlands. Unfortunately I failed to see any owl in Middleton yesterday, and I certainly did not disturb any breeding birds in a nest box. But I got to see a nice bird area, with species such as Little Egret, Cettis Warbler, an Avocet family, Little Ringed Plover and Shoveller. On Sunday I will go home to a country without Barn Owls, but home to Pygmy Owls, Tengmalms Owls, Ural Owls and Great Gray Owls. Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back