• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baltimore/Orchard Oriole - Michigan, USA (1 Viewer)

Rapala

Hi all,

Photos taken this morning while chasing after a previously reported orchard oriole in northern Michigan. I thought the bill looked a bit short but the wings might be too dark for orchard? Appreciate any input, thanks!

Attachments

• 8J0A0058.jpg
    8J0A0058.jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 8J0A0062.jpg
    8J0A0062.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 8J0A0063.jpg
    8J0A0063.jpg
    770.3 KB · Views: 44
Dark bases of secondaries suggests Baltimore oriole?? - though Sibley contradicts himself on this feature.
I can't do New World orioles...

Didn't know about the secondaries feature, but this is Baltimore for me too. Orchard tends to be strongly greenish-yellow below and olive-green above, where Baltimore is often darker above and has patchy gray and yellow/orange.

No yellow/orange on this - and your description of orchard oriole doesn't seem so far off the OP's bird. But let me not dissuade you - I (still) know nothing about New World orioles.

No yellow/orange on this - and your description of orchard oriole doesn't seem so far off the OP's bird. But let me not dissuade you - I (still) know nothing about New World orioles.
Can agree with you there. These images don't really show the underparts, which are really bright yellow-green on Orchard. I do think that one photo shows more gold/dull orange on the undertail than the lower belly, a Baltimore feature. Likewise, Baltimore often shows a gold/orangish tail and a bit on the face, as in this bird.

Here's one of the darker Orchard photos I can find in Macaulay submissions for this time of year, an adult female. Note the bright green (not coppery) tail and face contrasting with back and wings: Orchard Oriole Macaulay Library ML357303451

Many Orchards appear nearly all green from the back: Orchard Oriole Macaulay Library ML357269881

Found one photo of a Baltimore that somewhat resembles this bird, but even less copper color on tail/face: Baltimore Oriole Macaulay Library ML357329791

Hope this clarifies a bit!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back