• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Back from Pembroke. (1 Viewer)

charlierocky

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you all, the computer decided to play up when we got back.
Our Gert and I had a good week, not a cloud in the sky. We both came back with a tan that looked like we had been abroad.
Took our friends to Gigrin farm enroute to Skomer and the Red kites and co performed magnificently, they had never seen a spectackle like it before. As for the Puffins on Skomer island! they were even better, they performed like little actors poping out of there burrows right on cue.
Here are some photo's,on this post and the next, no red kite I'm afraid, they don't stay still long enough for digiscoping but buzzards obliged. Could use some help with the small bird stood on the post any ideas on what bird it is? about the size of a dunnock and taken right on the coastall path near St brides bay.

Attachments

• DSCN9570.JPG
    DSCN9570.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN9605.JPG
    DSCN9605.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN9621.JPG
    DSCN9621.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN9677.JPG
    DSCN9677.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN9691.JPG
    DSCN9691.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 15
So comical, yet sort of cuddly !

Yet apparently they are not! ;) If the secateur-like beak doesn't lop off a finger or two their sharp claws will leave you looking like a victim of Freddie Krueger :eek!: :-O

Gorgeous photos though - you forget just HOW attractive these birds are....especially when you are lucky enough to have thousands breeding on your doorstep as we do in Northumberland :t: I'm looking forward to a trip to the Farnes in a few weeks' time o:) Best learn how to use my new camera in readiness ;)

Great stuff Charlie! :t: You got much better views of the Puffins than we did there a couple of years back. Were still a lot flying around and bobbing around on the sea though. Did you see the Choughs? We saw one on the north side of the island and my brother saw a few when he went for a walk to Marloes Sands (near Gateholm Island, south east of Skomer).

Great stuff Charlie! :t: You got much better views of the Puffins than we did there a couple of years back. Were still a lot flying around and bobbing around on the sea though. Did you see the Choughs? We saw one on the north side of the island and my brother saw a few when he went for a walk to Marloes Sands (near Gateholm Island, south east of Skomer).

Yes we saw the choughs at the north side of the main land near St Brides Bay. I was also watching a Peregrine Falcon (you might of guessed) flying with a large flock of lesser and greater black back gulls. The gulls were following a tractor that was ploughing a field and I thought it strange that the Peregrine would be flying with them. I came up with the theory that the Falcon was using the gulls for cover in order to ambush a smaller bird that might come to the plough for food, what do you think?
Also on Skomer, several people reported seeing a Hoopoe! which would have been great to spot but it was time to head back for the boat. I did see a female Hen Harrier on the island though which was good.

Nice one! I saw a lot less there than I might have as we actually went there back before I got into birdwatching (I had a rather general interest in nature back then), I wasn't well that day and I didn't have bins either! Did just about see a Short-eared Owl at a great distance and also saw Wheatears, Meadow Pipits, a Gannet, a Chough and the essential Fulmars, Razorbills, Kittiwakes, Guillemots and Puffins, oh and a seal too. All those were new to me... a lot of those I haven't seen since too as you don't get many of those around Essex. :-O

Nice report of the events and great pictures to show us, Charlie.

What is the BoP in your picture (I may have missed something LOL)

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back