• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

article about Rona and its birds (1 Viewer)

James Blake said:
There's a great article about a trip to Rona, north of the Western Isles, in today's Guardian. It's by Kathleen Jamie and it's online here:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/scienceandnature/story/0,,1858338,00.html

In it she writes a vivid account of a session ringing Leach's Petrels on the island.

Definitely worth reading if you like stylish and informative nature writing.

James
Started to read it, looks fascinating reading but tired now, so have bookmarked this to read another day. Thanks Penny

Interesting she comments on the musk the petrels have, its very distinctive and once smellled never forgotten.

Lovely article thanks for the link James

Stewart

Thanks James, a wonderfully evocative article. I can attest to that magic as I spent the weekend before last ringing Leach's Petrels and Storm Petrels in a colony which holds tens of thousands of each off southern Iceland. Sitting in the dark with the "gleeful, chatterbox" sound of the Leach's and the flutter of bat-like wings all around, whilst looking at the aurora borealis above, was one of the best experiences I've had birding anywhere in the world. Reading that article makes me want to go back, now!

E

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back