• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone been to Flatholm Island, off Penarth, South Wales... (1 Viewer)

theMusicMan

Hi All

I have a free day tomorrow, and am fancying a trip to either Skomer Island (2 1/2 hours drive away) or to Flatholm Island (25 mins drive away). Now I have been to Skomer Island before and it is an awesome trip for bird life, but I have as yet never been to Flatholm. I have contacted the office and they advise that there is a sailing tomorrow at 12:45, returning at 18:15, and so I am wondering if anyone here has been on a trip there, and if so, was it worth the trip...?

I have asked if I can go off alone to see what's about, and not have to take part in the guided tour (which is more about history and buildings etc), and the kid lady I spoke with said that this would be perfectly fine.

So, my plan is to take my E-3, 70-300mm plus 1.4x, my monopod, some wet weather gear and a stool to have a fun day. Has anyone been there, any advice about what I might see and is it worth it...?

Thanks.

John

Last edited:
Hi
Not actually landed on Flatholm,though I have done a boat trip round both Flat and Steepholm.
I did not see much in the way of bird life,just the common gulls.
I have a book about Flatholm which mainly contains historical details.
However it does list some of the wildlife you might see,
Rabbit,Black Rat,Pipistrelle Bat,Slow Worm,Common Lizard,Thrush,Blackbird,Robin,Wren,Meadow Pipit,Rock Pipit,Oystercatcher,LBB Gull,GBB Gull,Shellduck,
During Migration birds use theisland as a resting place,so there is always the chance of a rarity.
At dusk the island is used as a roosting place by waders such as Dunlin,Purple Sandpiper,Turnstone and Oystercatcher.
Ravens,Heron,Kestrel and Cormarants often visit.
Flatholm has an extensive list of plants,some of them quite rare.Wild Leek and Wild Peony.
The book I have is "Flatholm Bristol Channel Island by Bob Jory and friends,"
published 1995 by Wincanton Press.ISBN No 0 948699 50 7

Many thanks for the information, much appreciated. I have decided after asking a few other people that I am going to go to Skomer Island instead. Gazzillions more birdlife to see too!!

Went to Skomer - here's a few shots I managed...

All taken on the E-3 with 70-300mm plus 1.4x

p341074454-4.jpg

p3729927-4.jpg

p258220147-4.jpg

p173344803-4.jpg

Wheatear
p262990578-4.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back