• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody out there? (1 Viewer)

I posted an invitation for all Pa. birders on this forum to liven up our patch and the silence is deafening. I check the patch daily and nothing is growing! I am a newb looking for guidance and commiseration with like minded folks. I thought I could find it here but when I speak all I hear is an echo. Hellooooo!

Maybe they are hibernating. Global warming seems to have the area in its grip.

Have very fond memories of the Canadensis area of PA, plan to be back in summer. Warblers and waterfowl,
fewer of the latter as the boaters multiply.

Maybe they are hibernating. Global warming seems to have the area in its grip.

Have very fond memories of the Canadensis area of PA, plan to be back in summer. Warblers and waterfowl,
fewer of the latter as the boaters multiply.

I don't live too far from Canadensis and have spent a number of pleasant weekends at the Sky Top Resort there. www.skytop.com.

Here is a self guided Auto Tour you can take in that area if you wish.

http://www.audubonslehigh.org./

I've been all over that area. Hickory Run State Park is one of the highlights.

Cordially,
Bob

Skytop is indeed a very nice place to stay.
Plus the resort has a full time naturalist on staff. They are well ahead of the usual country retreat in their awareness of the value of their natural habitat

They have dark skies too. You can set up a small telescope in a nearby field if you bring one along. An occasional car might drive along a nearby road but the sky is likely far better than where you live.
Bob

Last edited:
I posted an invitation for all Pa. birders on this forum to liven up our patch and the silence is deafening. I check the patch daily and nothing is growing! I am a newb looking for guidance and commiseration with like minded folks. I thought I could find it here but when I speak all I hear is an echo. Hellooooo!

Actually I'm always surprised at how many PA birders there are here on bf - but they don't seem to make it to this corner of the forum - maybe they have interests stronger than geography?? (Several frequent the ID forum and other Birding forums, and one on the Wildlife Art forum... must be at least a dozen active posters, to say nothing of those who don't usually post.)

I'm interested in Philly area myself, but not living there now.

Pa. is still alive and kicking. Western Pa. 35 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. Seems like that canadian hockey team just put the Pittsburgh hockey team to game six. Lets Go Pens. Here is a picture from the suburbs of Pittsburgh.

Attachments

• carolina wren feeding mom.jpg
    carolina wren feeding mom.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 69
Found out about a new and upcoming wildlife area run by Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. It is located in a area called Freeport, Pa. In South Buffalo township, on a road called Murphy's bottom. Serious. It has a huge lake and a smaller one, has plans for an ampitheatre and nature building with viewing platforms and nature watching areas. It is located 30 miles northeast of Pittsburgh along the Allegheny river. plan to check it out this week. should have lots of water birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back