• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any one fancy Gambia & Senegal (1 Viewer)

Reader

There are 4 of us doing a two week trip that incorporates both Gambia & Senegal and I was wondering if anyone fancies joining us.

We will fly from Birmingham on Feb 7th 2012 and come back on Feb 21st. We will be going with Halcyon Gambia & the price is £1995 plus the cost of your flight and it includes everything (except your drinks and insurance). It includes food, accommodation all travel expenses & the best guide in Gambia.

Is anyone up for it?

John

Sounds great John. Take a look at the ABS link below, I really came in for some hammer when I suggested the same trip to ABS members! Might end-up with a few members from here going with you, might be worth a post on their forum too?

http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,508.0.html

Hope you have a great time, its a lovely country but wasn't so keen on the welcome we had in Senegal, but that could have been due to the fact we had a one-off experience!

Peter

Thanks Peter

I will post a thread on there later tonight.

What was your bad experience in Senegal?

John

Sounds great John. Take a look at the ABS link below, I really came in for some hammer when I suggested the same trip to ABS members! Might end-up with a few members from here going with you, might be worth a post on their forum too?

http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,508.0.html

Hope you have a great time, its a lovely country but wasn't so keen on the welcome we had in Senegal, but that could have been due to the fact we had a one-off experience!

Peter

Thanks Peter

I will post a thread on there later tonight.

What was your bad experience in Senegal?

John

The biggest problem was getting stopped at checkpoints and handing over loads of money. They even took the license and papers away from the driver at one stop and we had to do a diversion to pick them up, they told him they had given them to another driver in error and he could pick 'em up at the next town, well of course he had to pay to get them back! It just went on and on I am afraid. Maybe it was just our rotten luck, but it certainly left a bad taste. Having said that we did get cracking views of Egyptian Plovers......

We did do a trip report, which you should find on the Spanish Nature site. Might be useful to you.

Peter

Hi Peter

Thankfully if that happens the cost will be born by Halcyon but it does sound like a bit of a Mickey Mouse situation.

I will check out the trip report although ten of my mates did a similar trip in 2009 with Halcyon and had an amazing time.

John

The biggest problem was getting stopped at checkpoints and handing over loads of money. They even took the license and papers away from the driver at one stop and we had to do a diversion to pick them up, they told him they had given them to another driver in error and he could pick 'em up at the next town, well of course he had to pay to get them back! It just went on and on I am afraid. Maybe it was just our rotten luck, but it certainly left a bad taste. Having said that we did get cracking views of Egyptian Plovers......

We did do a trip report, which you should find on the Spanish Nature site. Might be useful to you.

Peter

Hi Peter

Thankfully if that happens the cost will be born by Halcyon but it does sound like a bit of a Mickey Mouse situation.

I will check out the trip report although ten of my mates did a similar trip in 2009 with Halcyon and had an amazing time.

John

It could be our problem was because we had a Gambian driver? Not sure if they get on too well with each other. Could be as simple as that and of course Halcyon will be more aware than me of potential problems. I'm sure you will have a great time.

The link to the trip report, managed to dig around and eventually found it.. old age you know!

http://www.spanishnature.com/trip-r...a-a-senegal-birding-trip-in-january-2010.html

Peter

Hi Peter

Mustapha will be our guide so I'm hopeful all the problems have now been ironed out or at least lessened.

You certainly got some excellent species and I hope to see a list like yours myself.

I noted one omission from your bird list and one that I am hoping to see. Carmine Bee-eater. This is one bird I hope we connect with on our trip.

John

It could be our problem was because we had a Gambian driver? Not sure if they get on too well with each other. Could be as simple as that and of course Halcyon will be more aware than me of potential problems. I'm sure you will have a great time.

The link to the trip report, managed to dig around and eventually found it.. old age you know!

http://www.spanishnature.com/trip-r...a-a-senegal-birding-trip-in-january-2010.html

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back