• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Warbler in VietNam (2 Viewers)

glennmanc

This was on Mount Lang Bian (1800m) this morning. The common spp here are YBW, Kloss's and Blyth's, but this one has a very white, broad supercilium, especially at the front of the eye (too white for Kloss's which was singing nearby). I thought of Ashy-throated since the wing-bar is quite broad, but that appears to be ruled out by the pale lower mandible. It was very active in one area of a small tree in mixed pine/evergreen forest and only seen from below. It was completely and unhelpfully silent during 1-2 minutes in the same tree. The 3 photos were taken in a 30sec period.

Attachments

• Warbler-LangBian.jpg
    Warbler-LangBian.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 35
  • Warbler2-LangBian.jpg
    Warbler2-LangBian.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Warbler3-LangBian.jpg
    Warbler3-LangBian.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 46
This comparison of undertail patterns might prove useful:

https://ayuwat.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/phylloscopus012.jpg

Kloss's is labelled intensior - it should be ogilviegranti.

Why is this not intensior Andy? It's tail pattern is very similar and overlaps with Kloss's ssp. klossi but should be well out of range- SE Thailand & SW Cambodia. And following a reshuffle intensior has been recently reassigned to Davison's resulting in the removal of Kloss's from the Thai avifauna.

Grahame

Last edited:
Thanks. I should learn more about undertail patterns! Kloss's are singing continually at this time of year, so I don't often have to look closely. Perhaps this silent one was a female.

Why is this not intensior Andy? It's tail pattern is very similar and overlaps with Kloss's ssp. klossi but should be well out of range- SE Thailand & SW Cambodia. And following a reshuffle intensior has been recently reassigned to Davison's resulting in the removal of Kloss's from the Thai avifauna.

Grahame

Grahame, I was reading the article below about a sighting of Kloss's Warbler at Khao Yai dating back to 2015 and the graphic was at the bottom of the webpage. What I didn't realise was that since then the taxonomy has been revised and intensior is now part of White-tailed Leaf Warbler, along with muleyitensis, formerly known as davisoni(?). So which one is this bird? - according to HBW, intensior only occurs in SE Thailand, but if we go by tail pattern, it should be this taxon we see here. :eek!:

https://ayuwat.wordpress.com/2015/08/20/klosss-leaf-warbler-at-khao-yai/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back