• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

another bug (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
Can anyone ID this one, please. About an inch long flying among flowers in a boggy woodland clearing.

Edit: Now that the photo has been identified I've moved it to the insect gallery at
This location

Last edited:
Might be a Strangalia species (a longhorn, Cerambycidae) - my insect book doesn't have an exact match, but Strangalia maculata is similar, and has the text "one of several similar species; pattern varies"

Michael

Thanks, everyone. Someone else assures me that it's Strangalia maculata (family Cerambycidae) so it must be a variable species. Could the second photo be a hoverfly? (I'm not sure how you tell a stationary hoverfly from any other type of fly.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back