• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Annoying birding conversations in hides (1 Viewer)

I remember being in a hide at Minsmere crammed with senior citizens. A big clonk noise was heard, to which my mate asked, "has someone just dropped their false teeth?" Maybe you had to be there, but it was bloody funny.

Remenber walking into one of the hides at Rye years ago with my Dad and a couple of uncles, one of whom had an infectious donkey-like laugh. There were two other young guys on the hide too, so we sat down and as it'd been a long day and there was feck all to see we just got a case of the giggles, as you do, and when my uncle started ee-awing, that was it! The other two got paranoid we were laughing at them and kept looking at us, which of course made us worse - up until they got up and left which just made us laugh even harder....all over nothing at all. They then started pelting the hide with handfuls of gravel from the path.....classic!!! Still makes us chortle today. So, I hate people who come into a hide and start laughing ;)

I dislike people in blinds with flatulence that scares birds...

It's actually possible to tune this wind instrument, although the training course should not be attempted by those who are tone-deaf.:t:

In the late 19th century, there was a stage act (Le Petomane: he was a flatulist called Joseph Pujol) in France who could not only play the Marseillaise 'on it', but would do requests.:eek!::eek!::eek!:

I must emphsise that I would not encourage anyone to attempt a rendition of My Country 'Tis of Thee in any blind (=hide) anywhere on Health and Safety grounds.:t:
MJB

I was just thinking that Robin and I were in danger of agreeing too must be some kind of apocolypse in the offing.;)

Nice one. I know we probably agree on lot's of birding & photography stuff. Be boring if everyone agreed with everything though, don't you think ?

Nice one. I know we probably agree on lot's of birding & photography stuff. Be boring if everyone agreed with everything though, don't you think ?

Quite right Robin,nothing wrong with a few differing opinions and a bit of healthy debate now and again.

As someone who is trying to venture off the well-beaten path of RSPB-type hides and has discovered that apparently I'm no longer "bird-watching" but "birding", I'm very concious of the fact that I'm not yet in the club. However, a few experiences at my local hide that requires a permit that can only be acquired if you have membership to somewhere like the RSPB, has made me wonder if it is a club that I wish to join. Being acutely aware of my ignorance, I keep quiet and speak only when spoken too, but have to listen to people who are very obviously in the club, have long, loud conversations from each end of the hide about where that particular rarity had flown to at what particular time, whilst declaring that there's nothing about (when I'm looking out hundreds of birds of all shapes and sizes). I'm not suggesting that everyone's like this, but I get the feeling that the club members want the club house to themselves, and unless I can spot the difference between a semi-palmated and sharp-tailed sandpiper from 100 metres, I'm not in the club. Or have I just gone on the wrong day?!!

Remenber walking into one of the hides at Rye years ago with my Dad and a couple of uncles, one of whom had an infectious donkey-like laugh. There were two other young guys on the hide too, so we sat down and as it'd been a long day and there was feck all to see we just got a case of the giggles, as you do, and when my uncle started ee-awing, that was it! The other two got paranoid we were laughing at them and kept looking at us, which of course made us worse - up until they got up and left which just made us laugh even harder....all over nothing at all. They then started pelting the hide with handfuls of gravel from the path.....classic!!! Still makes us chortle today. So, I hate people who come into a hide and start laughing ;)

Great yarn Birdboy. Made me chuckle at the thought:-O.

Have to confess me and a mate used go into fits of laughter in hides in our younger days, as you say for nothing really.

Si.

As someone who is trying to venture off the well-beaten path of RSPB-type hides and has discovered that apparently I'm no longer "bird-watching" but "birding", I'm very concious of the fact that I'm not yet in the club. However, a few experiences at my local hide that requires a permit that can only be acquired if you have membership to somewhere like the RSPB, has made me wonder if it is a club that I wish to join. Being acutely aware of my ignorance, I keep quiet and speak only when spoken too, but have to listen to people who are very obviously in the club, have long, loud conversations from each end of the hide about where that particular rarity had flown to at what particular time, whilst declaring that there's nothing about (when I'm looking out hundreds of birds of all shapes and sizes). I'm not suggesting that everyone's like this, but I get the feeling that the club members want the club house to themselves, and unless I can spot the difference between a semi-palmated and sharp-tailed sandpiper from 100 metres, I'm not in the club. Or have I just gone on the wrong day?!!

No, you're not there on the wrong day, but believe you me we've all been there. Birding (or birdwatching but not, of course, bird-spotting) is first and foremost a learning process. Sometimes its about the minutiae of identification; sometimes its about numbers or frequency or rarity; sometimes its about human nature (some of the hardest lessons involve this).

Eventually you will be passing on knowledge as well as absorbing it. At least that's my judgement given your post. Don't let me down.

John

Hides?!
Other Birders?!
Don't have either where I bird!

Remember getting into some irritating hide situations back in the UK though....

This imaginary conversation has never happened to me, but it would be quite annoying:

Beautiful blonde: I'm quite new at this birding thing, I wonder if you wouldn't mind being my guide for the day. I'd be most grateful.

Annoying, because I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the birds.

Steve

This imaginary conversation has never happened to me, but it would be quite annoying:

Beautiful blonde: I'm quite new at this birding thing, I wonder if you wouldn't mind being my guide for the day. I'd be most grateful.

Annoying, because I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the birds.

Steve

It happened to me, and I couldn't either. It was summer and she had this loose vest type top and no foundation garments.... I'm going for a lie down in a dark room with a cold wet cloth on my forehead.

John

We all started outside the club. Although I admit it was probably easier for me as I started in my early teens. Yes some people will be snobs, but admit you're new to it and you'll probably find people very helpful.

Beautiful blonde..

Hopefully female Steve ;) Nice attempt to turn the thread into a more light-hearted one mate. I get tired of the waves of hate on bf these days. Br, Mike

Last edited:
Hopefully female Steve ;) Nice attempt to turn the thread into a more light-hearted one mate. I get tired of the waves of hate on bf these days. Br, Mike

Thanks Mike. According to my dictionary blonde (with an e) means a woman with pale yellow hair. Although if it weren't the case would anyone be scandalized?

Steve

Right,
The next time I'm out and about I'm gonna sit in the middle of a hide poking my 300 f2.8 attached to my 1D Mklll out of the window and spend half an hour rattling off shots at 10fps just for the hell of it.
Because I can.
Might do it whilst eating crisps and having the odd chat on my mobile phone......

Come on, there are photographers out there who are also bird watchers as well and there are bird watchers out there who make more noise than those with big lenses and loud cameras!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back