• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Annecy break (1 Viewer)

mairse

We're having a short break near Annecy at the end of November. Does anyone have any info on places to go birding and what we're likely to see at that time of year?

Annecy, end November

Well you are almost guarantied to see one or more Wallcreepers on the castle, they sometimes move between the castle and the nearby Basilique de la Visitation. A little patience is needed as the walls of the castle are extensive. As far as other sites are concerned it depends how far you want to go! With respect to mountain birds it will depend on whether there has been enough snow to close roads to spots like the Col de la Colombière where Lammergeier is usually quite easy to see, together with Alpine Choughs etc.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike, I was hoping to see a Wallcreeper and Lammergeier and Alpine Choughs would be amazing, three prospective ticks for me. How about a Nutcracker, any likelyhood?
Mary

Annecy - November

Nutcrackers are very easy in September when they fly down to lower altitudes for Hazel Nuts that they carry back up. Now would be more difficult, but not impossible. You can also check out what is being seen in the area on:-

http://haute-savoie.lpo.fr/index.php?m_id=1

It is however in French so you will need to know the bird names in French. Otherwise PM me when you are here and I can try and give you an update of what is around, also whether the Col is still open and whether Wallcreeper is being seen on Annecy castle this winter. etc.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the link, I know some French bird names but mainly the ones local to us in the Auvergne but I have a French bird book to complement my English ones. However if it's okay with you I will PM you just before we come across or as soon as we arrive to get an update from you.
Thanks again for your help, we're looking forward to our first time in the 'Grown up' mountains!
Mary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back