• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andalucia (1 Viewer)

hanri

I plan to go this year in Andalucia (Spain )but I don't know when.I hesitate between April or september/ october.
What is the best season to see birds in this country spring or fall ?
Thanks by advance for people who can help to choose.

I plan to go this year in Andalucia (Spain )but I don't know when.I hesitate between April or september/ october.
What is the best season to see birds in this country spring or fall ?
Thanks by advance for people who can help to choose.

I would definitely recommend spring as the birds will in wonderful spring plumage and in full song.

I actually went in October which was certainly too late in the year. Anyway, have a look at my trip report to get a general idea.
Hope this helps
Sue

http://www.freewebs.com/suebryan/spain2006.htm

I think you'd have a great time in April or September/October. However, like Sue and for basically the same reasons, I'd go for April - perhaps mid to late for preference so that you have a chance of some of those later migrants.

However, September is a great time to go for raptor passage at Tarifa (though April's still damn good!) and allows you the option of catching up with early winter visitors. (I've had Crane, Black Stork & Alpine Accentor in October)

Personally I'd head for the SW corner of Andalusia - the Coto is a must if you've never been there, but for variety Cadiz province is better,

John

Sue, Jonh

Taking your advice into account I decided on to choose April for my trip and I considere staying near Cadiz.
Moreover I think Andalucia landscape must be very beautiful in spring.

Thak you very much for your help.

Sue, Jonh

Taking your advice into account I decided on to choose April for my trip and I considere staying near Cadiz.
Moreover I think Andalucia landscape must be very beautiful in spring.

Thak you very much for your help.

A good choice - Cadiz province is too often overlooked these days as a prime birding destinantion. The area - esp the Alcornocles NP - is indeed very atractive as are the plants.

I immodestly recommend the Crossbill Guide (see www.crossbillguides.org to the Sierras of the South as a general book on the natural history of the area (note - it's not a simple bird finding guide) & for advice of routes; immodestly as I helped to write & edit it.

I also think that the village of Alcala de los Gazules makes a good base as its not too far from Sanlucar/Brazo d'Este/Laguna de Medina or more southerly areas like Tarifa/Barbate/Alcornocales/Grazelema. Again, I'm a bit biased as that's where I have a small house.

I'll be out there from 4/04 - 20/04 after which three friends are staying for a couple of weeks so unfortunately it's not available. If you're camping there's a reasonable campsite a few miles from the village into the Alcornocales. I have details of birding sites in the province which - although incomplete may be of some help. Contact me privately with your email address & I'll send them to you,

John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back