• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An Amazing Avian Andalucian Adventure (1 Viewer)

I fear both would be possible here, so think you need to keep it as an excuse to go back :t:

............yes........will need to go back, I think. Already planning the next trip!

The layby (is it the one with the information boards about Griffon Vultures?) is also good for Rock Bunting, and Orphean Warbler in the spring.

No, there were no information boards.............it was just a layby on the left going north. I think it was a little north of Montejaque.

Not been to Cueva de la Pileta? Shame on you both, Jon & BW!

You'll be telling me next you've never visited Tajo de las Figures - a rock shelter off the Los Barrios-Benalup road which has paintings of various animals including birds (Flamingos?) - possibly the oldest representation of our feathered friends in Europe .......

Your notes were so useful, John and so extensive. I could only go to a few of the places you suggested but I think you have the makings of a book there........maybe that is your plan.

My notes "sorta grow'd" and have taken on a life of their own.

They're in part therapy to keep me occupied when I'm not birding and in part to help me re-live my time in Spain. In fact I'm currently fnding myself staying in to revise them rather than go birding which is rather sad of me. I certainly never intended them to so lengthy or detailed, but now I've started I want to get them "right". I've no plans to publish them in book form since a) I know how much I don't yet know (a matter of known unknowns and worse unknown unknowns, etc., etc) and b) by constantly updating them and getting feedback they will always be up to date in a way that books can't match!

You'll be telling me next you've never visited Tajo de las Figures - a rock shelter off the Los Barrios-Benalup road which has paintings of various animals including birds (Flamingos?) - possibly the oldest representation of our feathered friends in Europe .......

Well, I didn't know about those either............another excuse to go back.

My notes "sorta grow'd" and have taken on a life of their own............
.................. by constantly updating them and getting feedback they will always be up to date in a way that books can't match!

That's true but I'm sure people would buy a "Where to Watch Birds in Cadiz Province" book

Last Day with the Vultures

The place we are staying at Algar is in the mountains and on the hillside opposite, only a few hundred metres away, in the morning about 11.00, I notice a few Griffin Vultures rising from the trees............then a few minutes later a few more. I scan the trees and find more perched. These migrating vultures evidently roosted there last night! How exciting. We watch them get up and circle around forming themselves into a swirl, maybe 30-40. They are joined by a few Booted Eagles and all drift off south.............a fitting end to our birding holiday which began with the raptor migration at Tarifa and two weeks later on our last day we watch this flock continuing with their migration.

Last Day with the Vultures

We watch them get up and circle around forming themselves into a swirl, maybe 30-40. They are joined by a few Booted Eagles and all drift off south.............a fitting end to our birding holiday which began with the raptor migration at Tarifa and two weeks later on our last day we watch this flock continuing with their migration.

A lot of the Griffons do spend the winter in and around Andalucia, so not necessarily migrating, although the Booted Eagles mostly will be. Looking forward to a visit in January to see what's about.

Is anything known about the origin of these Ruppel's Griffons in Spain?

I think that some have been seen coming in over the straits of Gibraltar, and I know that Mo (Acrocephalus) has looked on the Moroccan side for evidence of migration.

I don't know of any proven breeding, but perhaps this is being kept quiet if it's happening. Seeing juveniles would suggest they may be breeding, and the number of reports seems to keep increasing year on year. If they're not coming in from Africa, where else might they be from?

I saw Ruppell's in the Gambia a few years back, but I'm not sure where the nearest breeding population is. (my copy of BWP says Senegal to N Nigeria...)

Certainly be interesting to know.....

When Ruppell's first appeared in Spain in 1997 I think many assumed records related to escapees from captivity. However, as records increased and reports of multiple sightings (5, 6, 7 birds?) began this idea was firmly scotched. It is now accepted that records refer to genuine vagrants from sub-saharan Africa. The lack of records from North Africa means little given the very thin coverage there. They've certainly been seen arriving exhausted from Africa along the south coast of Spain. Almost all of them are immature birds which probably reflects that in many species young birds are more prone to wander than adults rather than breeding. However, this can't be dismissed as a possibility as some adults are turning up and there were reportsd of a 'mixed' pair (Ruppell's x Griffon) in, I think, Portugal, some years back.

An equally interesting question is what this increase in records actually signifies. Does it reflect a real increase, greater observer awareness/skills or a bit of both? There's some suggestion that, with an historically high population of Griffons, the likelihood of the odd Ruppell's getting caught up with a flock of returning Griffons is now much greater than previously. On the other hand the increase in records mirrors an increase in reporting (largely due to the 'Migres' programme I think). I'm sure that back in the dark ages (pre-1980s) of international birding very few people would have heard of, let alone seen, Ruppell's and any odd 'dark Griffons' would have been dismissed as just that,

A great report making me wish I'd visited more of the area when I had the chance. I'm off to Ubeda for a few days this weekend for a christening and I may get the chance to visit Sierras de Cazorla for a day or two.

I hope you don't mind me highjacking your thread to ask if anyone knows if I stand any chance of seeing the mighty Quebrantahuesos or any mammals in the area weather permitting? Thanks.

I hope you don't mind me highjacking your thread to ask if anyone knows if I stand any chance of seeing the mighty Quebrantahuesos or any mammals in the area weather permitting? Thanks.

Don't mind the free ride at all, makes it more interesting. It's a great area. Have a good time and good luck with the Q.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed the report Joan and such a shame you didn't make it to the Llanos de Libar and the Montejaque sites when you visited my area. As regards to Rüppell's Vulture, then we have had our fair share of these in the last few years and because we have a much greater population of Griffon in the area, then this is hardly surprising given how sociable they are. We have had a full adult bird here for most of the year as well as juveniles!

It is believed that these Rüppell's Vulture have found their way here by accompanying returning juvenile Griffon Vulture. They obviously form social groups in Africa and normally these juvenile Griffon only spend around 1 year in Africa, so seems a fair bet this is the reason for Rüppell's being sighted here. I think awareness and people being more prepared on id has led to the increase in Rüppell's sightings. For the interest of your readers here, also anyone else, I attach a comparison photograph for juveniles of both species!

Peter :t:

Attachments

• Rüppell's_Griffon-Vulture_Comparison.jpg
    Rüppell's_Griffon-Vulture_Comparison.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 62
Thank you Peter. The Llanos de Libar and the Montejaque sites will definitely be on the agenda for my next trip to Andalucia, which I hope will be sooner rather than later.

I've no plans to publish them in book form since

.... by constantly updating them and getting feedback they will always be up to date in a way that books can't match!

Ever thought of starting a website for your notes - easy for you to update, can be done very visually, adding photos, etc as you wish, plus easily accessible by others to use.

Very nice trip Joan.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back