• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpine Choughs at lunch in the Dolomites (1 Viewer)

3Italianbirders

Supporter
Italy
I thought I'd share this video and a few pics I took while on a brief skiing trip to the Dolomites. Alpine Choughs were by far the most common species, with other alpine specialties like Snowfinch and Alpine Accentor. Also seen were Carrion Crow, Raven and Great Tit, with more common species like Buzzard, various herons and Lapwing along the motorway. I didn't have a camera, so all pics were taken with my phone.
Below, Choughs, Snowfinch and some landscape shots, all in the Val Badia and Val Gardena area

Attachments

• IMG_6496.mp4
    1.5 MB
  • IMG_6502 copia.jpg
    IMG_6502 copia.jpg
    842.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6509 copia.jpg
    IMG_6509 copia.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 40
  • tempImageASDhnK.png
    tempImageASDhnK.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6521 copia.jpg
    IMG_6521 copia.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6532 copia.jpg
    IMG_6532 copia.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6543 copia.jpg
    IMG_6543 copia.jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6546 copia.jpg
    IMG_6546 copia.jpg
    739.3 KB · Views: 37
Nice photos & some good memories for me - I did some via ferrata in that area one spring a number of years ago with a friend who passed away just over a year ago.

Thanks all!
Pete: the Dolomites are beautiful any time of the year - somebody in our group was actually talking about having done a via ferrata last summer in the same area
Mike: they are! But I had never witnessed them eating spaghetti carbonara before! 😁

I thought I'd share this video and a few pics I took while on a brief skiing trip to the Dolomites. Alpine Choughs were by far the most common species, with other alpine specialties like Snowfinch and Alpine Accentor. Also seen were Carrion Crow, Raven and Great Tit, with more common species like Buzzard, various herons and Lapwing along the motorway. I didn't have a camera, so all pics were taken with my phone.
Below, Choughs, Snowfinch and some landscape shots, all in the Val Badia and Val Gardena area
Really beautiful there. Is this just under Col Pradat on one picture, such as at B&B Larchenhof? We enjoy coming each fall for trekking and stay at La Selva on the other side of Passo Gardena. Choughs are fun to see and occasional Western Capercaillie is memorable, especially if in attack mode.

Is this just under Col Pradat on one picture, such as at B&B Larchenhof? We enjoy coming each fall for trekking and stay at La Selva on the other side of Passo Gardena. Choughs are fun to see and occasional Western Capercaillie is memorable, especially if in attack mode.
IT IS!!! Well spotted! 😁

Lärchenhof is where we were staying! And we took the gondola up to Col Pradat as the last thing in the day. These are not our usual haunts. We usually go to San Vigilio di Marebbe in October and did see Capercaillie last year in the Passo delle Erbe area. If you stay in Selva you must know the Costa bakery - it's fantastic!

There's trip reports here, here and here

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back