• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algerian Nuthatch (1 Viewer)

Diedert

United Kingdom
Dear all,

Earlier this year I inquired some information about WP-birds in Algeria. Deciding most of them were not worth the risk or effort, my friend Lonnie and I went to see the Algerian Nuthatch last weekend.
Some people asked if we could do a English version of the report as well. A small summary will be given here, but a full English report will soon be available on cloudbirders.com. A Dutch post can be found here, with some pictures.

Ever since we saw the endemic Algerian Nuthatch listed in our Collins Bird Guide, we promised to each other that as soon as it would be save, we would travel to Algeria to see this bird. Last friday, June 1th, we flew from Amsterdam to Constantine where we would meet our guide, Karim Haddad, and we would try to see the Nuthatch.
We arrived in the afternoon at the airport, where Karim and his brother picked us up. We immediately went birding, in a forest just outside the city. Here we added our first African species, like Ultramarine Blue Tit and Atlas Pied Flycatcher. After several hours, we drove back to Constantine. The city is surrounded by a huge gorge, in which Peregrines and Jackdaws breed. The Jackdaws belong to ssp cirtensis, which is endemic for the City of Bridges. Here we would end our day with the most beautiful view.

The next day Karim woke us at 04:00 to go to the Babor Mountains, the region where the Nuthatch lives. After a three hours drive with a short stop along the way, we arrived at the Djimla Forest, one of the four forests containing the Algerian Nuthatch. During the roadtrip we saw several other species like Common Bullbull, Blue Rock Thrush and Melodious Warbler.
After a 20 minute walk up the hills, Karim showed us a small gap in an Algerian Oak. Within the first minute a beautiful Algerian Nuthatch came flying in and showed really well. The next several hours we were able to watch the male and female flying in and out the nest to feed their chicks. What a stunning bird!
After that we birded some more in the hills and throughout the province, with mostly species known from Southern Europe, such as Booted Eagle and Western Swamphen. The next day we had an early flight back to Amsterdam, via Algiers and Paris.

Algeria is a really beautiful country and we experienced 0 safety problems. Not once were we halted by police or anything. We would recommend Karim to the fullest, he took care of us really good and arranged everything smoothly. For interest in his details, feel free to contact me.

Kind regards,

Lonnie Bregman & Diedert Koppenol

Dear all,

Earlier this year I inquired some information about WP-birds in Algeria. Deciding most of them were not worth the risk or effort, my friend Lonnie and I went to see the Algerian Nuthatch last weekend.
Some people asked if we could do a English version of the report as well. A small summary will be given here, but a full English report will soon be available on cloudbirders.com. A Dutch post can be found here, with some pictures.

Ever since we saw the endemic Algerian Nuthatch listed in our Collins Bird Guide, we promised to each other that as soon as it would be save, we would travel to Algeria to see this bird. Last friday, June 1th, we flew from Amsterdam to Constantine where we would meet our guide, Karim Haddad, and we would try to see the Nuthatch.
We arrived in the afternoon at the airport, where Karim and his brother picked us up. We immediately went birding, in a forest just outside the city. Here we added our first African species, like Ultramarine Blue Tit and Atlas Pied Flycatcher. After several hours, we drove back to Constantine. The city is surrounded by a huge gorge, in which Peregrines and Jackdaws breed. The Jackdaws belong to ssp cirtensis, which is endemic for the City of Bridges. Here we would end our day with the most beautiful view.

The next day Karim woke us at 04:00 to go to the Babor Mountains, the region where the Nuthatch lives. After a three hours drive with a short stop along the way, we arrived at the Djimla Forest, one of the four forests containing the Algerian Nuthatch. During the roadtrip we saw several other species like Common Bullbull, Blue Rock Thrush and Melodious Warbler.
After a 20 minute walk up the hills, Karim showed us a small gap in an Algerian Oak. Within the first minute a beautiful Algerian Nuthatch came flying in and showed really well. The next several hours we were able to watch the male and female flying in and out the nest to feed their chicks. What a stunning bird!
After that we birded some more in the hills and throughout the province, with mostly species known from Southern Europe, such as Booted Eagle and Western Swamphen. The next day we had an early flight back to Amsterdam, via Algiers and Paris.

Algeria is a really beautiful country and we experienced 0 safety problems. Not once were we halted by police or anything. We would recommend Karim to the fullest, he took care of us really good and arranged everything smoothly. For interest in his details, feel free to contact me.

Kind regards,

Lonnie Bregman & Diedert Koppenol

What's the visa situation for EU passport holders Lonnie?

A

What's the visa situation for EU passport holders Lonnie?

A

Visa were very easy to acquire. You can apply for a tourist visum, which cost us 60 euros and took a week to be prepared. This lasts one month, no matter the time you go. We had to give quite some papers though. Bank statement, proof of current occupation, flight details, adres of hotel etc.

Cheers, Diedert

Did you take your binoculars to Algeria or Karim provided them?

We did not take our binocs, as we did not want to risk them being taken away. Peter did bring his own and they were taken, but he could retrieve them on his way back. Indeed, Karim had two pairs we could use.

And it's probably same with camera? They don't loud to bring any cameras on country?

No, we were allowed to bring cameras in the country. Lonnie took his 200m with him, no questions were asked whatsoever. Maybe if you take a larger one, you might get some questions but they'll most likely still allow them.

The next day Karim woke us at 04:00 to go to the Babor Mountains, ...

Is it possible to get to the summit of Jebel Babor?

Thinking as much of the opportunity to see Algerian Fir Abies numidica, endemic to the summit area, as the nuthatch.

I do not know, but I am certain that if you would like to go there, Karim will arrange it. Karim is vividly interested in plants as well, so he knows the flora just as good!

No, we were allowed to bring cameras in the country. Lonnie took his 200m with him, no questions were asked whatsoever. Maybe if you take a larger one, you might get some questions but they'll most likely still allow them.

It would be useful to get a definitive answer to this if at all possible?

The wife and I would be interested in this short trip but she'd want to take a 600mm.

Andy

Birdquest are doing a trip there and their site explains that cameras with big lenses should be OK but binoculars are banned and they expect telescopes to be the same.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back