• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on Bins £100-£200 (1 Viewer)

boznia

Hi, can anyone suggest some good waterproof bins at the low end of the price range? £100-£200

Have seen Bushnell Xtra-Lite, Opticron Oregon DCF, Nikon DCF HP Sport, Pyser Eagles, Swift Roof Prism Range Trilyte ( seem ok ), Dowling & Rowe 8x42 or 10x42.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Ben

hi ben
i think you are hoping a bit to have reasonable optics and waterproofing at this price bracket (IMHO) i would go for optical quality and put your bins in your coat when it rains !!!!
try these - opticron countryman bga 8 x 42
nikon sporter 8 x 36
both these are a good first buy or if you can find a pair s/h opticron 8 x 32 or 42 hr porro prism's they are great bins very bright and compact ( just got a pair of 8 x 32's cost a £100 !
hope this helps give me a shout if i can be of further help mate
:)
p.s
just remembered RSPB do an 8 x 40 asw at around £199 which are ok and are WP !

I got the Bushnell Legend 8x32 bins after a glowing review in one of the birding magazines and it turns out to be a great buy. they are clear, nitro filled and waterproof. I have done well with them too. They were about 280 quid but I got them down to 230 quid and took my old portable 10x25's in for another ten quid off. So if you can get a similar deal it is worth the extra 20 to 30 quid. Don't let yourself down for 20 quid.

I have a pair of the Delta 8 x 42 from In-Focus, Waterproof and Nitrogen filled for £259. I am very pleased with them, good value for money.

I have seen Bushnell Trophys for £128 in comparison to a popular retailer who has it at over £250 is this a good pair of bins?

The focus wheel looks a bit hidden away from the photos.

Ben

I think i have narrowed it down to either Bushnell Legends 8 x 42 ( roof prisms) or RSPB 8x42 WP ( porro prisms ). Both have similar specs, but the bushnells are apparently phase corrected.

Any final opinions? Andrew, how do you like your Legends.

Ben

binos

Hi Ben,

I have recently bought a pair of Swift Audubon(model 820), 8.5x44 binos. They are waterproof, very bright and have an exceptional field of view(430feet@1000yards). They cost $280(US), which I believe is close to your price range.

I've used this glass(non-waterproof) for 10 years and am very happy with it. I will be spending more time in the tropics in the future so I purchased the new waterproof model.

They also have an adjustable eyepiece for good eye releaf in wearers of glasses.

Dennis
Pennsylvania,USA

Ben,

That was interesting to read, I have not encountered any problems with the eyecups. Then again I am a Four Eyes and keep them closed down all the time, however I do play with them in the field while holding them and they are firm but not jerky and have no oily stuff leaking. I wonder if the reviewer is biased economically or summat like that. The focussing wheel is a delight tense yet soft and easy enough for quick focussing. Actually tense is a bad choice of word as it really is easy to use but not free running which would be useless. Apparently there is a rainguard coating but I did not value this consideration as I wouldn't want water on the lens anyhow, the guarantee is a lifetime one so that must speak volumes about how good it is.

A few more mentions, the dioptre setting is brilliantly stiff enough not to move after being set to your eyes and the whole shape of the 8x32's are easy to handle with one hand as the main holder and the other as a simple support.

I bought a pair of Swift Audobon 8.5x44 from Warehouse Express very recently as ex-demo. The full price is pretty much £200, which I guess puts it just in your range. There was a review of them in January's Birdwatch which said they had good optical performance but had some handling niggles. I haven't seen enough other binoculars to comment on the optical performance, but the only handling issue I encountered wasn't mentioned. The eyepiece caps are completely separate, and not secured to the straps provided, so if you're putting them on and of frequently you are forever delving into your pockets. I ended up piercing mine and using fishing line to tie them to the eyelets for the straps.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back