• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advice needed for holiday please, where to stay (1 Viewer)

we are going to southern portugal ( package holiday) end of april, start of may, advice wanted what area to go to for a none driver, don`t mind walking or cycling, thanks

we are going to southern portugal ( package holiday) end of april, start of may, advice wanted what area to go to for a none driver, don`t mind walking or cycling, thanks

I'm presuming you're going to the Algarve, if so Tavira would be an excellent area for someone without a car.
Apart from it being a good birding spot it's also an attractive and interesting town with something for everyone if you're going with family.

Quintas de lagos or the Alvor estuary are good areas if you can find accommodation nearby.
Sagres is good and will be on my list for october.
Inland Monchique can be good as well.
The Jeep Safaris,though good for seeing local life and good views are not exactly aimed at birdwatchers and the coach tour that is advertised as Natural Portugal is great if you want to see the inside of numerous churches.
We love Portugal and have been eight times now and always hire a car to get the best out every trip

I think your location depends on what you most want to see. In and around the wetlands in the east and central Algarve many of the species seen are birds that a relatively straightforward to see in the UK plus the following regulars in April/May (some need extra effort)

Red-crested Pochard
Greater Flamingo
Little Bittern (not Tavira)
Purple Heron (not Tavira)
BW Stilt
Kentish Plover
Collared Pratincole
Purple Swamp Hen (not Tavira)
Audouin's and Slender-billed Gulls (best around Tavira)
Hoopoe
Bee-eater
Crested Lark
Short-toed Lark
Zitting Cisticola
Sardinian Warbler
Great Reed Warbler
Woodchat Shrike
Azure-winged Magpie
and Golden Oriole a little inland

Spectacled Warbler and Lesser Short-toed Lark are to be found at Castro Marim at the extreme east Algarve in the right habitat.

In the far west - inland habitats are closer to the coast although there are few wetlands - f you stayed in Lagos or nearby you could commute on a local bus easily to Sagres and walk around the peninsula. You could even try and be based in Sagres but that may be difficult for a package holiday - though possible at Martinhal - just by Sagres.

Species difficult or impossible in the UK in the western Algarve in April/May are:

Little Bittern
Short-toed and Bonelli's Eagles
Little Bustard
BW Stilt
Kentish Plover
Hoopoe
Bee-eater
Crested Lark
Thekla Lark
Short-toed Lark
Tawny Pipit
Black-eared Wheatear
Blue Rock Thrush
Spectacled, Subalpine, Dartford, Great Reed and Melodious Warblers, Iberian Chiffchaff
Iberian Grey Shrike
Woodchat Shrike
Red-billed Chough (only place in S.Portugal)
Azure-winged Magpie
Golden Oriole
Rock Bunting

Others like Woodlark, Nightingale and Cirl Bunting are common birds in the right habitats. Others like Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Hawfinch are easier than in the UK.

I personally don't bother too much with Monchique - all its species are found in other areas to the southwest and a fair few more. It is visited a lot by visitors because its the highest point although just 900m and not high enough to change the birdlife much - its habitats are quite fragmented and better areas are to be found at lower elevations.

If you were to move around 80kms inland, just north of the central east Algarve, (although an impossible package base and very difficult without a vehicle) a whole lot of other species are normal in the right areas of the Baixo Alentejo - some additions to the Algarve's birds in April/May would be:

Griffon and Black Vultures
Spanish Imperial and Golden Eagles
Black-winged Kite
Black Kite
Montagu's Harrier
Lesser Kestrel
Great Bustard
Black-bellied Sandgrouse
Eagle Owl
Great Spotted Cuckoo
Roller
Calandra Lark
Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin
Rock Sparrow
Spanish Sparrow

...meant to mention Red-necked Nightjar, which is present across the Algarve, especially a little inland. Also, early May is also when the scarce White-rumped Swift returns - worth checking around inland bridges in hilly areas anywhere in the central and east Algarve - the most western pair recorded I found last year near Loulé/Faro.

Also I should mention that many of the more inland species I mention for the western Algarve are also in the far inland east - though a bit less practical on foot, bike or public transport.

My website describes the the birdlife in the different areas throughout southern Portugal - maybe of interest: http://algarvebirdman.com/

Cheers

Simon

Last edited:
Hi
I visited the Algarve in October 2011

You are in for a treat.

I have compiled quite an extensive report for several sites and you may find the map I also put together a good way to judge your placement particularly on foot.

To be honest my wife and I were amazed at what we saw at the very fancy resort of Quinta do Lago.

If you have non birding family it could be a great balance also.

I stayed in Cabanas, loved the area. The balcony list stood at 49!

http://www.wildrossendale.co.uk/PortugalTripReport-2011.html

Have a great time.

Last edited:
As it has been misspelt twice on this thread I though it may prevent searching for accommodation info - its Quinta do Lago ;)

Pronounced; kinta du lah-gu (a flat U)

Sleeper, I enjoyed what you wrote about your October trip in the Algarve. I hope you don't mind me saying but its a pity that you were not so informed about raptor migration at Sgares - at the watch point (Cabranosa) 1km from the farm buildings you mention we had what I would call a reasonable showing for the 7th October - 1 Golden Eagle, 1 subad. and 1 juv Spanish Imperial Eagle, Black-winged Kite, Red and Black Kites, Common Buzzard, 1 Griffon, Short-toed and Booted Eagles, Hen Harrier, Peregrine and Lesser (1) and Common Kestrel. There was a Pallid Harrier, Bonelli's Eagles and Goshawks about too - we spent a few hours through the middle of the day.

Simon

Please don't mention my day at the important spot at Sagres and Cabranosa I would like to erase that from my memory! Trust me I was informed but several factors conspired to descend into sheer farce.

I really enjoyed my trip and I hope to return.

Simon......please check your spelling of Sagres8-P

Simon

The interesting thing I note is that I traveled on the 6th I note your sightings on the 7th and also noted another semi resident visiting on the 9th which also had a "poor" day.

It was one feature that really stood out and that was the obvious migration...as simple as that.

By the way can I be cheeky and ask if you have any experience of a particular area that I came across. It was a semi dry river bed. I shall try to dig out the exact spot as I just can't find it on a map at this moment. It just felt like a good place......

Found it
+37° 12' 37.03", -8° 32' 35.78"

Last edited:
That's funny, what a coincidence! - I lived for two years just 600 metres north of this spot - small world, haha.

The area is called Vale Pessegueiro (Valley of the Peach Tree)

In the breeding season there are Hoopoe, Bee-eater, Iberian Green Woodpecker, Azure-winged Magpie, Crested and Thekla Larks, Woodlark, Rock Bunting, Dartford and Melodious Warblers, Zitting Cisticola, Iberian Chiffchaff, ST Treecreeper, Crested Tit, Common Sand, Little Ringed Plover, Grey Wagtail and Short-toed Eagle (in general area) around here. Its also good for butterflies and often very wet and fast running in the winter.

Last edited:
The interesting thing I note is that I traveled on the 6th I note your sightings on the 7th and also noted another semi resident visiting on the 9th which also had a "poor" day.

I was also there on the 6th and also the 9th, 5th and most days in October.
I didn't put the birds down for the 6th because somehow (I'm kicking my brains about it) I don't have the records to hand. However, we had around 10-14 spp od raptors each day - inc some not on the above list like Honey Buzzard and Egyptian Vulture.

I have met - on many occasions over the years - visiting birders in the Sagres area who have missed the greater part of the raptors. One example is a guy who I stopped to say hello to along the tarmac road who was happy seeing 3 Booted Eagles - we had censused close to 180 that day (no repeat counts) and many other species. To see most of the sightings, one has to be prepared to put some hours in - standing/sitting at one spot, albeit a very pleasant spot. Uncannily, all too often somebody arrives at the watchpoint, gives it 30 mins - sees long distance views of 2 species and leaves. A little later a big wave of raptors comes through giving nice views.

John, both species are amongst the most sedentary and as far as I understand do not make post breeding movements - or extremely local - ie; young birds dispersing very close to natal site.

Once I had believed I had seen Crested Lark on the little dunes (a typical Crested habitat) at Martinhal near Sagres but I have doubts as I have seen Thekla there now and all around. The nearest Cresteds I know of to Sagres are c.10kms away very close to Raposeira village - and there all around outside the village its full of Theklas.

I know of no record of Crested on the Sagres peninsula proper and this absence is the consensus of opinion amongst the Portuguese too.

John, both species are amongst the most sedentary and as far as I understand do not make post breeding movements - or extremely local - ie; young birds dispersing very close to natal site.

Once I had believed I had seen Crested Lark on the little dunes (a typical Crested habitat) at Martinhal near Sagres but I have doubts as I have seen Thekla there now and all around. The nearest Cresteds I know of to Sagres are c.10kms away very close to Raposeira village - and there all around outside the village its full of Theklas.

I know of no record of Crested on the Sagres peninsula proper and this absence is the consensus of opinion amongst the Portuguese too.

Thanks for that information Simon, as you can probably guess I've thought I'd seen Crested there, basically based on bill shape/size. I'm gonna have a dig through what lark photos I've got from the area and see what I can make of them again.

I don't doubt for a minute what you're saying is right just hope I can learn a bit more about separating these two so similar species.

Cheers

John

thanks for all your replys finally booked 2 weeks in tavira at cabanas park resort end of april, thanks

Have a great holiday, if you want something to look at while you're waiting to go have a look at this blog site.
http://www.jupiterbirding.blogspot.co.uk/

If you feel the urge to have a day out with a guide to see birds you won't see in the Algarve (bustards, sandgrouse etc) get in touch with Simon Wates via a PM on here.

regards

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back