• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accommodation on Shetland next September headache (1 Viewer)

bonxie birder

Going for the One
United Kingdom
I’ve been looking at accommodation for a week on Shetland for next September and its mainly sold out. Does anyone know if this is the norm?

Probably is now. The last week of September is when birders start arriving in numbers whilst that also coincides with Wool Week where visitors from around the world visit. Busy time for Shetland. That being said if you look for accommodation away from South Mainland and Lerwick, maybe around Scalloway, out towards Walls, Brae etc there should still be places available, just depends on what you are looking for B&B or Self Catering.

Probably is now. The last week of September is when birders start arriving in numbers whilst that also coincides with Wool Week where visitors from around the world visit. Busy time for Shetland. That being said if you look for accommodation away from South Mainland and Lerwick, maybe around Scalloway, out towards Walls, Brae etc there should still be places available, just depends on what you are looking for B&B or Self Catering.
Wool week? I’d never heard of it

Wool week? I’d never heard of it
Nor had we but one year we lost our regular accommodation to attendees.... get in early is my advice too.

If you think about it Shetland is covered in sheep raised for wool, Shetland and Fair Isle knitting are legendary: these are decent contributors to the island economy and the island hierarchy are sensibly apt to favour them and endorse events - birders come a long way second.

John

51567916578_a47f3052c0_o.jpg

51635428346_64ec206893_o.jpg

wool week - we went to Shetland in wool week on our second visit there. Full of ladies of a certain age clad head to foot in woollen garments (acres of fair isle jumpers, skirts and leggings) who were surprisingly sociable and good fun. We met many ladies from Britain but a surprising number from America and Canada.
Good job too, we drove hundreds of miles and saw pitifully few decent birds - not as much fun as it sounds………..

Our group of 3 birders normally do Scilly or Shetland each autumn and after a run of 3 years on Scilly, we decided to visit Shetland next year. I immediately noticed two things, compared to previous years, in that accommodation seems lacking and the price has shot up, especially if looking in Lerwick.

Two days ago, I did however manage to book a three bedroom self catering accommodation in Scalloway, via AirBnB and at a good price.

Also agree that Wool Week can make things challenging too! The first week of October can also be good for birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back