• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 tern ID's in one picture. Each circled different color. Indonesia may 2017 (1 Viewer)

Both birds in blue look like longipennis Common Terns to me, which also is also grey below. Compared to Whiskered the bill looks longer and black (dark red on Whiskered).
I think the birds in red may also be Common Terns but I am not sure how to distinguish between these and Roseate in non-breeding plumage, so may be wrong here. Some birds appear to have darker outer webs to the tail feathers, which should favour Common over Roseate I think. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back