• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x32 binoculars (1 Viewer)

roxby

Hi All

This may have been covered already but here goes. For some time now I have considered buying a 10x32 binocular for birding, probably the Zeiss Victory FL model to replace my Swarovski 10x42 EL. I spend a lot of time birding overseas and it seems the weight/bulk reduction of the smaller binocular is possibly worth the loss of light in twilight conditions? I apreciate a 8x32 binocular is probably better but as I often operate without a telescope the extra 2x mag is useful.

Has anyone out there done much foreign birding with a 10x32 and what are your opinions particularly with regard to light gathering in forest conditions and toward dusk? To give an indication of where I use my bins my next trip is to the Lesser Sundas in June.

Many thanks in advance

Malcolm

Hi All

This may have been covered already but here goes. For some time now I have considered buying a 10x32 binocular for birding, probably the Zeiss Victory FL model to replace my Swarovski 10x42 EL. I spend a lot of time birding overseas and it seems the weight/bulk reduction of the smaller binocular is possibly worth the loss of light in twilight conditions? I apreciate a 8x32 binocular is probably better but as I often operate without a telescope the extra 2x mag is useful.

Has anyone out there done much foreign birding with a 10x32 and what are your opinions particularly with regard to light gathering in forest conditions and toward dusk? To give an indication of where I use my bins my next trip is to the Lesser Sundas in June.

Many thanks in advance

Malcolm

Malcolm,

I own and love the FL 10x32. To be frank - under open sky I've never felt it lacks in brightness. I have even used it ½ hour after sunset without noticing any decrease in brightness vs the naked eye (OK, in the summer it's not very dark at 10.30 PM in Sweden, but still...)

But using it in the forest during dusk hours would be to press it too hard.
For you, I'd actually suggest a Vortex Fury or Meopro 6.5x32 that provides a 4.9 mm exit pupil. With mine (Fury), I have to say the same I said about the FL 10x32 - no loss of brightness as long as I can see with my naked eye, but now in deepest dusk under tree canopy.

All I can say is that you should try it. But if you're totally reluctant, a really good 8x32 or 8x36 would at least do better than any 10x32 could under the circumstances you describe. A 8x32 is a compromise, for me the 6.5x + 10x combo is better, but if you want the least possible weight the 8x32 is for you.

Or, get the Fury and a top quality 10x25. Or a Nikon ED50 w/16x to mate the Fury.

//L

Last edited:
I have a Leica 10x32 HD and it really surprises me how good it is in the evening and seems to work really well in shaded forest.

In the evening I'm comparing it side by side with an 8x56 ED Hawke. Sometimes the Leica pulls even more dusk or shadow detail (I know, it actually has to be seen to be believed) and this seems to be due to its transmission and contrast which seem to be optimised for just the purpose you desire. I would have no qualm about the Leica being an only binocular for any occasion. I would say that obviously it is a bit more finicky to use as regards eyepositioning and ipd and eyerelief/eyecup setting as there's not much tolerance to spare. Its other weakness is perhaps not always the best CA performance and also if you get one make sure the focus works smoothly.

Its still my favourite 32mm bin I've owned and I've had a Zeiss FL 8x32 and a couple of EL 8x32 which were also fantastic but in the end wide 8x was not for me which reminds me the dof of the 10x32 is less than the 8x32 so you need to do more focusing normally hence a smooth focuser is very desirable.

The sharpness of the Leica I have also found very impressive and since I had the focuser overhauled by Leica I can confidently get both barrels to obtain the same sharp focus which is something I value most highly in any binocular. I also love the rich colour from the Leica "HD".

Last edited:
I forgot to mention -it maybe relavent- that I use a relatively cheap Hawke 10x32 Frontier also and I'm finding it very good with the nicer weather coming in as it has a lovely comfortable eyecup big view but it isn't able to perform to the Leica standard in lower light. There is quite a difference between the two in those conditions.

Thanks to both Looksharp and CliveP for responding to my earlier post and for their input. I have decided to go for a 10x32 Zeiss FL, picking this over Leica/Swarovski mostly because I managed to get hold of an ex-demo pair at a good price, should they not work for me I will be able to pass them on without any great loss to the old pocket. They will arrive on Wednesday and i'm looking forward to getting out with them. I will take these and my 10x42 EL to Indonesia and see how I get on. If the Zeiss work the Swaro's are for sale!

Again many thanks both.

I believe that you will be very happy with these bins, I've been contemplating a move to 10x32 from my 8x42. The Zeiss are extremely bright and have amazing resolution so are obviously a fine choice! Good luck!

Congratulations, Malcolm! I'm confident the FL is the best 10x32 around and it will amaze you.
You're welcome!
Forgive me for nagging, but if you're going to bring two bins I suggest you leave the EL at home and bring a (borrowed?) 6x30>>7x35 if you're going into the rain forest. Preferably a Fury ;).
Have a pleasant journey!

//L

roxby: Let us know how you get on with your Zeiss 10x32 FL.
I have Nikon HG in 8x32, 8x42 and 10x32. The 8x42 is the 'easiest' and most relaxing view, as well as being bright, but the 10x32 is surprisingly good, even if you have to work a little bit harder, e.g. focus is more 'finicky' with less depth of field: it's "in" or "out" at a touch.
Zeiss are renowned for high light transmission so you should find the 10x32 FL quite bright.

Hi Malcolm,
I have the Nikon 10 x 32 EDG I. I would also be interested in reading your review of the Zeiss version.

Bob

Hello Roxby,

I use the 10x32, on occasion, domestically, but for you it is a foreign clime. I find it fine in daytime, even under trees, but I have never used one in deep woods. I have two caveats. First I cannot follow birds in flight because of the relatively narrow FOV. My second problem is that I find it hard to hold steady, so that I would never use it as a primary glass. Pair it with a 7x42 and you have a great combination.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hi All

Zeiss arrived safely and was able to try them last night, birding until almost dark. I had my Swarovski 10x42 EL to use for comparison. To my eyes the Zeiss are as bright as the Swaros there is a very marginal difference at the very end of the day but honestly nothing that would cause me any problem whatsoever. I'm sure a brand new pair of 10x42's would outperform the 10x32. However my EL's are around 11 years old and the advances in lens technology since that time mean a current pair of 10x32 with HD lenses perform as well as 10x42 with 'standard' glass from a decade ago.

The Zeiss are extremely bright and produce a beautiful, clear image. The only draw back I would say is the narrow FOV but i'm sure I will get used to this. My partner has a 10x32 Nikon and i'm used to the FOV from using hers so this should not present too much of a problem. Of course everything is compromise and I think a tiny (perceived) loss of light and smaller FOV is a good trade off for the size/weight reduction (think of those 16 hour days in the field) and the extra mag is handy for someone who habitually birds abroad without a telescope. Carrying the Zeiss its easy to forget you are wearing a binocular. I will be taking them to Indonesia in June along with the Swarovski's and will be able to compare them both while birding in the forest. I always seem to be looking for some Pitta or Partridge at dusk so will post another message to let you know how I get on!

Regards
Malcolm

Sorry my mistake I meant to was refer to depth not FOV, constant re-focusing may take a little getting used to, FOV is fine! Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry my mistake I meant to was refer to depth not FOV, constant re-focusing may take a little getting used to, FOV is fine! Sorry for the confusion.

|:d|

That goes for all 10x binoculars. With my Fury, I can preset the focus to 4 meters and I have about 120 degrees focus travel to infinity, which can easily be done in one single touch with the index finger.
Even better, the DOF is so huge that I just need to know the focus direction to achieve sufficiently sharp focus in less than a second, and then I have plenty of time to watch the bird and make minute focus adjustments.

//L

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back