• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100000 Woodcock shot every year in the UK (1 Viewer)

me too, they still evade me... and some people get to see 200 odd each season whilst they blow them to smitherines.... w@nkers.

I fully understand your sentiments!
I suppose you might see them best at a roding site-if you ever get the chance to know where they are.
Around here they are kept secret,only known to the 'in' crowd.Maybe you should acquaint yourself with those in the 'know' and you might see some next summer.
I had a cracking view of a Woodcock once.The only problem:it was a stuffed bird in the local Natural History Museum.
The way things are going that might be the best place to see some bird species in the future-stuffed,in a glass cage!
Its the only place I will see a Yellow Wagtail round here-another species which has disappeared from the local list.
So my only proper sightings have been two brief chance encounters in the course of 15 years.

Last edited:
I fully understand your sentiments!
I suppose you might see them best at a roding site-if you ever get the chance to know where they are.
Around here they are kept secret,only known to the 'in' crowd.Maybe you should acquaint yourself with those in the 'know' and you might see some next summer.
I had a cracking view of a Woodcock once.The only problem:it was a stuffed bird in the local Natural History Museum.
The way things are going that might be the best place to see some bird species in the future-stuffed,in a glass cage!
Its the only place I will see a Yellow Wagtail round here-another species which has disappeared from the local list.
So my only proper sightings have been two brief chance encounters in the course of 15 years.

Knowing where the best roding sites are is a case of going out at the right time, they're certainly not uncommon in your area Pranticol, but they can be difficult to find if you're not familiar with the habitat they favour. In South Cumbria try Roudsea, Holker Moss, Meathop Moss, Fowlshaw Moss, the woodlands around Rusland Valley or even the woods around Leighton Moss (Warton Crag, Grisedale, Gait Barrows, etc) if you want to venture into Lancashire. I've had roding Woodcock from the layby overlooking the reserve! In winter just find a likely-looking woodland edge that has a clear view of the sky and look west towards the setting sun, you should see Woodcock flying out to their feeding grounds. Most people fail to find Woodcock because they leave too early, Woodcock are usually the last birds to move in winter - Snipe and ducks will generally flight before them. When you think it's too late, wait another ten minutes!

Cheers
Jonathan

Knowing where the best roding sites are is a case of going out at the right time, they're certainly not uncommon in your area Pranticol, but they can be difficult to find if you're not familiar with the habitat they favour. In South Cumbria try Roudsea, Holker Moss, Meathop Moss, Fowlshaw Moss, the woodlands around Rusland Valley or even the woods around Leighton Moss (Warton Crag, Grisedale, Gait Barrows, etc) if you want to venture into Lancashire. I've had roding Woodcock from the layby overlooking the reserve! In winter just find a likely-looking woodland edge that has a clear view of the sky and look west towards the setting sun, you should see Woodcock flying out to their feeding grounds. Most people fail to find Woodcock because they leave too early, Woodcock are usually the last birds to move in winter - Snipe and ducks will generally flight before them. When you think it's too late, wait another ten minutes!

Cheers
Jonathan
Thanks Jonathon-very helpful
I will make a note of these.
The reason I said they were not advertised was because there used to be a local birdforum and every year someone would post details of having seen roding birds but always kept the location secret.
I wonder why they were being so secretive?

The species is a late migrant and is often seen on the move well into November and beyond. I haven't checked much in the way of statistics but for a few recent winters the Russian birds have had a hard time of things with many dying in Norway whilst attempting to evade the cold.

So any short term statistics over the last couple of winters or so could be misleading - quite a lot of species which get hit by cold weather must be down in numbers. Wrens are another species that have yet to bounce back after some tough winters over here.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back