• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Philippine scops owls (1 Viewer)

Daniel Philippe

Miranda, H. C. Jr. et al., 2011. Phylogeny and taxonomic review of Philippine lowland scops owls (Strigiformes): parallel diversification of highland and lowland clades. Wilson J. Orn. 123 (3): 441-452.

Abstract: ... Based on molecular and morphological evidence, we recognize the following Otus megalotis subspecies as full species: Luzon Lowland Scops Owl (O. megalotis), Mindanao Lowland Scops Owl (O. everetti), and Visayan Lowland Scops Owl (O. nigrorum). We also propose reassigning the Giant Scops Owl (Mimizuku gurneyi) to the genus Otus for phyletic consistency.

A long awaited split but what terrible suggestions for common names, O. megalotis can be seen at the same altitudes at O. longicornis and O. everetti alongside O. mirus so not sure what makes them 'lowland'?

Clements lists four subspecies, so I assume that boholensis is included with one of the others?

thanks
Niels

Boholensis

Clements lists four subspecies, so I assume that boholensis is included with one of the others?

Dickinson 2003 (H&M3), IOC and König & Weick 2008 (Owls) (and presumably also Miranda et al 2011) treat boholensis as a synonym of everetti.

[In general, since assuming authorship of the Clements Checklist, Cornell does not seem to be actively maintaining the subspecies recognised, and there are now many differences compared with H&M, Zoonomen, IOC, HBW, recent family guides etc.]

Last edited:
The general impression is that Clements is still playing catch up in some respects to IOC.

On the other hand, Revisions to subspecies generally have been neglected by AOU/SACC in recent years, something which is surprising given that both committees stress the importance of the subspecies concept in the BSC. Perhaps Clements neglect of subspecies stems from that attitude (and that birders are less likely to follow subspecies taxonomy)

Would welcome comments regarding English names proposed below for
the new Ph. scops owls. Thanks
f

Dear IOC,

I recently published a proposed split for Otus megalotis (Wilson Journal of Ornithology 132 (3) 2011. I believe my proposed common names for the three new species of Philippine scops owls were not received with well ( Like most systematists, i never gave much thought about common names, until i received comments from birder friends) . Thus, i am proposing the names below and perhaps the IOC could present the proposal to active Philippine birders to get a consensus.

Otus megalotis - Long-eared Scops Owl - the original megalotis name
Otus nigrorum - Visayan Scops Owl - it is found also in Panay, besides Negros.
Otus everetti - Sandawa Scops Owl - Sandawa is the ancient tribal name of Mt Apo, where Bob Kennedy and I obtained most of the specimen.
Otus gurneyi - Giant Scops Owl - extreme large size but not an eagle owl

Pls. feel free to post this in your website so we can get feedback.

Thanks.

Hector C. Miranda Jr.
Associate Professor
Department of Biology
Texas Southern University

English names

Would welcome comments regarding English names proposed below for
the new Ph. scops owls.
Definitely a good idea to use an alternative name for Otus megalotis s str rather than retaining 'Philippine Scops Owl' (as Monroe & Sibley), given that all four are Philippine scops owls! And, personally, I find it helpful when a common name reflects the scientific name.

There's obviously no need for a new IOC English name for O [Mimizuku] gurneyi.

'Otus megalotis - Long-eared Scops Owl - the original megalotis name
Otus nigrorum - Visayan Scops Owl - it is found also in Panay, besides Negros.
Otus everetti - Sandawa Scops Owl - Sandawa is the ancient tribal name of Mt Apo, where Bob Kennedy and I obtained most of the specimen.
Otus gurneyi - Giant Scops Owl - extreme large size but not an eagle owl

Pls. feel free to post this in your website so we can get feedback.'

Giant Scops Owl - this retains a name in common use, so that is good.
Sandawa Scops Owl - interesting and unusual name, but Everett's Scops Owl was in use and is easier to remember.
Visayan Scops Owl - the Visayas cover 3 very distinct biogeographical areas, and a very large number of islands. The east Visayan Broadbill and Miniature Babbler would never occur in the central Visayas of Cebu etc, nor the west Visayas of Negros-Panay-Masbate-Ticao etc. The name West Visayan Scops Owl would be better though a bit longer. But how widespread is it even within the West Visayas? There appear to be no records of any scops owls from Masbate, Ticao etc. Perhaps Negros Scops Owl would be the least inaccurate and certainly the easiest to remember.
Long-eared Scops Owl - sounds different. Does it appear any longer eared than the sympatric Luzon Scops Otus longicornis though? longicornis would also appear to refer to the big ears.
Des Allen

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back