• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two weeks in Massachusetts (1 Viewer)

MKBirder

We're visiting Massachusetts for 2 weeks from mid August. This will be our first visit to the USA so we're keen to expand our list of American species while on a family holiday. After 3 nights in Boston we have 3 nights in Concord and will visit Great Meadows. We then have 1 week on Cape Ann based in Lanesville. Obviously we will include at least one visit to Plum Island plus Ipswich, Gloucester, etc. My question is how many species is realistic at this time of year and given that it is not only a birding trip. Does approx 100 species sound possible? Hope someone can give us some advice.

Without trying to rack up species, I tallied 114 during the entire month of August in Eastern Massachusetts last year. It is not a great time of year though for general birding, but good for shorebirds and terns. Great Meadows is going to be rather unexciting in August. If you can, I would suggest getting out to Monomy National Wildlife Refuge/South Beach on the Cape, near Chatham. The Massachusetts Audubon Society usually runs trips there (the best way is to take a short boat ride from the mainland) in August. If you cannot get out to South Beach, multiple trips to Plum Island/Sandy Point State Park should be productive. For Parker River NWR, try to get there at high tide for shorebirds, since that concentrates the shorebirds away from the coast and into the various pools and salt pannes along the refuge road.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Last edited:
While I have never been there in August I really like the Audubon Ipswich River Sanctuary in Topsfield (very close to Ipswich). One of your best bets that I know of for Pileated Woodpecker that I know of as well as many other species. It has a nice varied landscape (open woodland, forest, meadow, and wetlands) providing a lot of different habitats. Also, very nice and affordable canoeing options on the river from here.

I appreciate the advice. Apart from a fantastic week for American vagrants on Scilly which included black-billed and yellow-billed cuckoos on the same day in the UK!!!! most of what we see will be new to us. We will certainly give Topsfield a visit and add an extra day at Plum Island.
Thanks,
Alan.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back