• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Mt. Pulchowki (Kathmandu) solo biridng? (1 Viewer)

brechtc

Belgium
I’m looking to do some birding around Kathmandu on Saturday. I’m reading mixed reviews on the safety aspect of hiking up Pulchowki mountain alone, mostly regarding robberies.

Does anyone have recent experience here? Or if not deemed safe enough, recommendations for a good bird guide for a day hike?

No problems in 2021, the previous issues were said to be related to the civil war times and general unrest in the country. Unfortunately I have no more recent info on the safety of Pulchowki, but Nepal in general is still stable. There is/was a military post on the top which could be visited. Reconstruction of the road was on the way and might still not be finished.

I am literally on Phulchowki right now, taking a break waiting for bird activity to build up. I’ve not had any problems and spoke to a young lad today who had never heard of robberies here so hopefully a thing of the past. It will be busy on Saturday though. Road is very rough but there’s a steady stream of motorbikes and 4wd and suv cars heading to the top. No small cars.
cheers
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back