• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North East India - Eaglenest, Kaziranga, Nameri, Dirang (1 Viewer)

Pash44

Thinking of a trip to the above for approx 18 days starting around Feb 28 2025 (+/- a day or two but no more). I have an outline itinerary at a very competitive price as follows approved through Peter Lobo who would supply driver and guide. Looking for one or two (max) birders to join. PM me if you are interested.

Day 1: Guwahati – Cherrpunjee

Day 2: Cherrpunjee-Shillong – Kaziranga

Day 3: Kaziranga

Day 4: Kaziranga

Day 5: Kaziranga – Nameri

Day 6: Nameri

Day 7: Nameri – Elephant – Sessa –Dirang

Day 8: Dirang – Mandala or Sela Pass

Day 9: Dirang – Mandala or Sela Pass

Day 10: Mandala-Sela or Sangti Valley

Day 11: Dirang to Lama Camp

Day 12: Lama Camp

Day 13: Lama Camp -Bompu Camp

Day 14: Bompu Camp- Sessni -Bompu

Day 15: Bompu-Kellong- Bompu

Day 16: Upper Bompu

Day 17: Bompu to Doimara Camp

Day 18: Doimara – Guwahati

A classic itinerary, and you have gone for the top ground agent. I did it one very cold and snowy February a long time ago and would love to do it again if my legs were still up to it.

A classic itinerary, and you have gone for the top ground agent. I did it one very cold and snowy February a long time ago and would love to do it again if my legs were still up to it.
Not as tough as say, Nepal or parts of the Philippines Steve?

I should have done this twenty years ago.

In order to encourage anyone that wants to do this trip but is unsure about physical requirements:

I guided a group some years ago with 3 people well into their 70s. Comfort is low in the tented camps on Eaglesnest (Lama, Bompu), but all in all, this tour isn't that hard on the legs, e.g. Kaziranga is mostly in jeeps and almost all birding in Arunachal is roadside / close to the vehicle: any walk further away from the vehicle can be fun but doesn't guarantee anything better / more than the roadside.

In order to encourage anyone that wants to do this trip but is unsure about physical requirements:

I guided a group some years ago with 3 people well into their 70s. Comfort is low in the tented camps on Eaglesnest (Lama, Bompu), but all in all, this tour isn't that hard on the legs, e.g. Kaziranga is mostly in jeeps and almost all birding in Arunachal is roadside / close to the vehicle: any walk further away from the vehicle can be fun but doesn't guarantee anything better / more than the roadside.
Thanks Temmie. 2 of us now discussing (both UK) and looking for 1 more participant. Let me know if you are interested in discussing further. Cheers

I can see maybe 5-10 new birds on this circuit, so I am more inclined to discover new places as I am unfortunately very short in travel time these days vs. plans and projects I want to make happen.

If anything, see it as a heads up for a fantastic itinerary with a ground agent you can't go wrong with, so I hope this is enough to entice / convince those who are interested but still hesitating a bit: this is one of the better birding trips one can make, anywhere.

If anything, feel free to ask for whatever I can share with regards to birds / my own experiences.

If it could convince anyone to jump and commit, I consider it a good job done - good luck with some of the birds below :)

1714995115923.png
1714995596652.png
1714995129246.png
1714995141826.png
1714995153408.png
1714995189506.png
1714995251767.png
1714995274474.png
1714995311463.png
1714995411916.png
1714995461767.png
1714995513877.png

Last edited:
Is February too early? Most tours seem to go in April? What is best time of year for this trip?
Good question:
Both have their pros and cons, both are great, but there are some important nuances / differences that can either be attractive or not.
Just two examples: Black-necked Crane will still be in Sangti Valley end of Feb / beginning of March (and not anymore in April), while Large Blue Flycatcher will only arrive at their breeding grounds in April.

Feb/March will see more birds at lower elevation (and not yet on the breeding grounds, think e.g. Bush-robins), more birds in flocks, a bit better viewing circumstances as many trees will still not have big leafs, but maybe some birds / species groups not singing (as much) e.g. cuckoos, weavers not in breeding plumage etc.
It could work out better for some birds that are, in April, beyond their peak display / song activity (Tragopans, maybe even Blue-naped Pitta) while April will get you better chances for both Cochoas.

Both periods would not be dealbreakers for me, but April is probably preferred by the must-see-all birders simply because of song activity (encounters are more targeted, less random like you have when birds are in flocks). Just realize that seeing all in one trip is quite an achievement and what I remember from my trips (one end of Feb/beginning of March, and 2nd half of April) is that both offered excellent views of birds not seen (or badly seen) in the other trip.

Perhaps you could post your trip list?

Never mind my knees, I doubt my heart would hold up and I hate the cold now, as I said, wish I'd done this years ago.

Never mind my knees, I doubt my heart would hold up and I hate the cold now, as I said, wish I'd done this years ago.
Eaglenest is as easy as it gets in the Himalayas - you don't even have to leave a paved road. It's way less demanding than even the easiest Nepal tea house trek.

One suggestion I would make to the itinerary is to consider switching out Kaziranga for Manas. It's far less restrictive in terms of opening time and access on foot, and some key grassland bird species are easier (notably Black-breasted Parrotbill). It does lack the concentrations of large mammals, though.

I have a 1-13th of March list for: Nameri (1st and last day) + Eaglesnest (11 days in between).
Mind you this were the early days, i.e. not many trip reports, only hand-written maps by friends, no coordinates, few stake-outs...
I was on my own with one guy bringing me to places on a motorbike, leaving me alone for hours and only returning for lunch etc.
So loads of roadside walking, which is very enjoyable but on stretches with hardly any flock activity it can be quite inefficient.

Another list from 17th of April to 2nd of May:

This one is while leading a group. It was a more comprehensive tour (2 days of Kaziranga, 7 days Eaglesnest, 1 day sela Pass, 2 days Mandala + Sangti valley and 2 days Manas). Unfortunately, because of the very late green light this tour got in terms of securing permits for Arunachal (which wasn't easy at all in April 2022, the first time frame post-covid this area opened for international tourism), I didn't have a full-on local bird guide and as the group were mainly photographers, I couldn't try out my usual die-hard birding on this trip. I agree with DMW that Manas is better for grassland birds (e.g. Slender-billed Babbler, Black-breasted Parrotbill, Finn's weaver) and very enjoyable, but so is probably the area close to Tinsukia (combined with Mayodhia pass) but it goes to show there are too many good areas in NE India to do in one trip, and one should see any of those itineraries as totally worth it and if really aiming for that last bird, you'd better do more than one trip anyway.

After these 2 trips (and some trips in e.g. N-India, Sichuan, Thailand), the birds I aimed and had one of the better chances seeing on this itinerary compared to anywhere, but still missed, are (in no particular order):
Blood Pheasant, Sikkim Wedge-billed babbler, Pale-headed Woodpecker, Large-blue Flycatcher, Indian Grassbird and Solitary Snipe.

ps: maybe you have to have an account and log in in order to see the lists, but at least they are with exact coordinates for all observations (contrary to some other platforms) and making an account is totally free (contrary to some other platforms).

I've seen the Woodpecker in Vietnam and the Snipe is usually on a pool, in the grounds of a monastary after you pass over Thorong La in Nepal. but that IS, hard work.

There's about 50 new birds for me in that first list.

Last edited:
I definitely agree with Temmie about not worrying over the timing of a trip to this part of the world. It's not exactly a hardship having to go back for more East Himalayan birding, and different seasons have their own pros and cons. I prefer the cooler winter weather, the roving mixed species flocks and the lack of other birders. On the other hand, you have to accept that a few target species will be absent or much harder than in the spring.

1​
Arrive Guwahati - Drive Manas NP (3 hrs)
2​
Manas NP
3​
Manas NP to Nameri
4​
Nameri
5​
Nameri-Dirang
6​
Dirang-Tawang
7​
Tawang
8​
Tawang-Sela-Dirang
9​
Dirang-Bompu
10​
Bompu
11​
Bompu
12​
Bompu to Lama
13​
Lama to Kaziranga
14​
Kaziranga
15​
Kaziranga toTinsukia
16​
Tinsukia to Mayodia
17​
Mayodia
18​
Mayodia to Roing
19​
Roing to DehingPatki
20​
Dehing Patki/Digboi
21​
DP to Dibrugarh airport for Delhi flight

Current itinerary update. Only really doing Kaziranga as it's a good stopping point. Spoilt for choice on location and BTW it's not really a Feb trip given we will start March 1st. As Temmie says NE India deserves at least a couple of visits - for us this is trip #1 😁

1​
Arrive Guwahati - Drive Manas NP (3 hrs)
2​
Manas NP
3​
Manas NP to Nameri
4​
Nameri
5​
Nameri-Dirang
6​
Dirang-Tawang
7​
Tawang
8​
Tawang-Sela-Dirang
9​
Dirang-Bompu
10​
Bompu
11​
Bompu
12​
Bompu to Lama
13​
Lama to Kaziranga
14​
Kaziranga
15​
Kaziranga toTinsukia
16​
Tinsukia to Mayodia
17​
Mayodia
18​
Mayodia to Roing
19​
Roing to DehingPatki
20​
Dehing Patki/Digboi
21​
DP to Dibrugarh airport for Delhi flight

Current itinerary update. Only really doing Kaziranga as it's a good stopping point. Spoilt for choice on location and BTW it's not really a Feb trip given we will start March 1st. As Temmie says NE India deserves at least a couple of visits - for us this is trip #1 😁
That's quite a revision! A couple of observations:

1. You've got very little time at Lama Camp. Although I found Bompu much better, Lama Camp area is your only shot at Bugun Liocichla which can take some finding.
2. Don't forget to fit in a visit to Guwahati Dump for Greater Adjudtant + ambiance
3. Try to fit in a quick trip to Dibru Saikhowa near Tinsukia for Swamp Prinia

About 50 would be new for me in that first list.
That's quite a revision! A couple of observations:

1. You've got very little time at Lama Camp. Although I found Bompu much better, Lama Camp area is your only shot at Bugun Liocichla which can take some finding.
2. Don't forget to fit in a visit to Guwahati Dump for Greater Adjudtant + ambiance
3. Try to fit in a quick trip to Dibru Saikhowa near Tinsukia for Swamp Prinia
Indeed, I know numerous people that have dipped it.

If I may say so, I find the schedule a bit overly ambitious, but I would rather prefer it this way than the other way around.

Including Manas is a good idea, including Tawang is quite bit more driving over sinuous roads. Are you after Satyr tragopan? I wouldn’t mind visiting tawang if only for the monastery, but Nameri to Dirang and Durant to Tawang sounds like almost full driving days.

Time at eaglesnest seems a bit short (maybe skip the full day in nameri) but I think you can see most you’re missing on mayodia, but for certain birds like Gould’s shortwing it will be a bit too early.
I would try the liocichla on the way in and the way out (and if it works out on the way in, I wonder if you know can drive out going down to khellong and further -> is the bridge near doimara back in operation? -> that could save some time driving from arunachal to Assam).

I like the idea to go further east in Assam (something I haven’t done yet), but be aware not to leave anything on the first part of the circuit…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back