• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Los Angeles, small white bird in Verdugo Mountains (1 Viewer)

breadmaker

United States
Hello,

I'm wondering what this bird is. I encountered this bird around 11am on May 11th, 2024, in the Verdugo Mountains in Los Angeles. It was singing, and Merlin picked up a lesser goldfinch at the time, though it doesn't look like one. Perhaps this bird is leucistic?

Thanks!

BMF02256.jpgBMF02258.jpgBMF02280.jpg

It is certainly leucistic, if not a white form of an escaped cage bird. The bill seems a little thin, the wings too short, and perhaps the behavior off for a Lesser Goldfinch - they usually do not sing from quite so exposed a perch, but I do not know what it is.

House Finch
Do not personally agree, looked through pics of leucistic house finches and their upper and lower mandibles are usually pinkish, bill in general is more hefty as well, they are also longed winged. As mentioned by others this seems like a sparrow sp, bill is is more conish (thinner and more triangular).

Edit- Wondering about a possible leucistic rufous-crowned sparrow.

Last edited:
Certainly aberrant. Bill does look buntingy or N-American-sparrowy - certainly wrong for house finch. Most mystifying I find the faint tail-barring - at first I thought fault-bars but it's too strong for that - and no N American sparrows have it? - so maybe it's a cagebird quirk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back