• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identifying Migratory Birds by Sound (1 Viewer)

There's also "La Migration Nocturne Par Le Son" by Staislas Wroza and Julien Rochefort which probably duplicates a lot of the same calls but does seem to give a wider range of calls (2 or 3 rather than 1) for individual species than the larger book does though for fewer species (120 against 450) as well as going into more detail about equipment etc. Having bought the French language versions I've found them both very handy for quickly searching through the sonagrams trying to ID anything I've managed to record that I don't recognise. A combination of both books in one would be even better than just the above title on its own.

I'm still hoping for an English language version of "Tous Les Oiseaux Rares D'Europe" by Frederic Jiguet and Aurelien Audevard which focuses on just the rarities that might turn up in Europe (from Africa, North America and Asia), without all the birds that are in every other fieldguide of Birds of Europe (though you've said there's no plans for that one, so I'll just have to make do with using my schoolboy French best guesses at the captions on the photos - not that I ever find anything rare enough that I need the book to help ID/confirm it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back