• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car binoculars (2 Viewers)

I have a question the relates to having too many binoculars and too many excuses lol. Recommendations for a "car binocular?" I had my Athlon Midas 10x50s in the car while doing a day of errands with the family, and I used them to spot a plane while waiting in the parking lot (wife did shopping), then at another place was able to spot a swarm of cicadas howling in the trees among a Cardinal hopping around!

Then some guy cut us off and my kid used them to check out who it was since he sped off LOL.

I thought, "I need binoculars in the car!" Compact and ones that can take the extreme heat and extreme cold if put in a nice case -can the optics take it and I thought about the rubber parts but it seems like other people have done this. Heat more so since it's already 90 degrees today in NC.

I thought of these 4:
Steiner Military Marine (2038 series) 7x50
Oberwerk Sport ED 8x42
Monarch M5 8x42
Vortex Diamondback 8x42

You might be interested to see these threads…

That’s great! Looks like quite a few people leaving binoculars in the car with extreme heat and no issues with optics or the rubber parts.

I recently got one pair to always be in my car. It’s a great idea. I would suggest 6.5-7x and wide field. The usage is usually something quick, so you don’t have time to search and focus. Plus you will be looking through car windows which worsen the view. With more magnification you will just see more defects. I got Hawke marine 7x32 because I got a good deal on them used here. But I think Kowa 6.5x32 with a very wide view would make a perfect binocular for car usage.

That’s great! Looks like quite a few people leaving binoculars in the car with extreme heat and no issues with optics or the rubber parts.
Can't speak for others, but I would be concerned about long-term heat exposure (and theft). A good no questions asked warranty is worth consideration.

Can't speak for others, but I would be concerned about long-term heat exposure (and theft). A good no questions asked warranty is worth consideration.

Yep, that's why I asked if anyone had any experiences here. Looks like people here (and on Reddit) have left binoculars in a hot vehicle for years with no issues to the optics or rubber armor. I've moved past the stage of just having to cheap optics. I guess I'll have to get comfortable that if damage occurs, I'll have to deal with it. Like the Vortex Diamondbacks HD for $200.

Consider as well the binocular with case fitting in the glove compartment or other storage location in the car. Out of sight reduces attraction for theft.

And while the pocket size works well for people used to using small exit pupils, consider a larger size being easy for people who are not regular binocular users.

Some of the Kowa offerings may fit the size, price, and ease of use criteria for your car and users.

Read your warranty T&Cs about storing in a car. Quote from one manufacturer below
  • Do not transport or store your product in the glove compartment or unsecured in the boot of your car as the car’s movement can impart shocks to your instrument. Also extremes of temperature can build up in a car.

At home, both cars have a first aid kit, a spare wheel, some clothes/raincoat in case o emergency... and binoculars :D

Over the years I've had several models, but I've come to adopt a 100 €/$ policy for this issue, which not only would make damage/loss less of a drama, but also makes for an enticing challenge. This usually means going for not top of the range models, where ruggedness may not be the strongest suit (and buying second hand). I'm happy to report that I've had very good experience with the Kowa YF 8x30, showing no sign of internal wear after nearly three years in the glove box (although that model is now up to the 150-160 € mark).

At the moment I have a SvBony 8x42 and an Opticron Imagic 7x42 BGA WP, both bought second hand. The SvBony has only been there for a few months, but seems to be doing fine, the Opticron belongs to a higher level, which could theoretically imply a better build quality (more resistance), but who knows. Before my car binoculars used to be the ones I no longer used that much, and hence 8x32 was the most common type (since is usually my most used format), however, since weight is no issue in the car, I've opted for larger formats, which could give a slight edge in brightness during night hours and also offer an easier eye placement.

Mine are the Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42. They are light, sharp, nice contrast, waterproof, and if they start to break down from being in the car (heat/cold) after a while, Vortex has a great warranty. If someone breaks into the car and steals them they are easier to replace than far more expensive glass.

Just wanted to jump in here with my own experience regarding the concern about leaving binoculars in hot vehicles. I actually reached out to Maven's customer service a while back because I own the B1.2 and was worried about the potential heat damage from storing them in my truck, especially during the hot months.

Maven's team advised that their binoculars can generally withstand the heat inside a vehicle, but they strongly recommended against leaving them in direct sunlight, like on the dashboard. They mentioned that they’ve seen a few cases where binoculars, especially in extremely hot places like New Mexico and Arizona, had some body armor warping when left in direct sunlight through the windshield. However, they assured me that optically, the binoculars continued to perform well despite the heat.

The takeaway was pretty clear: it's okay to keep them in your car, just avoid direct sunlight exposure. Hope this helps anyone else wondering about the same thing!

None of mine have suffered yet and the safest place for them in terms of heat is the lowest place away from direct sun, making the dash the worst location in almost all regards and the glove box following as a close second.

Coolest general location is going to be the floor behind the driver's seat where you can reach back in many vehicles, but another option is hanging off the headrest of either front seat, as I did recently.

Last edited:
My car routinely gets up to 100 degrees F or more inside, I've decided not to leave any binos in there. Temperatue cycling ages materials faster IMO. Plus it's more fun to carry a different pair to the car every time I go out

I have a few that get car duty. The quality of my car binocular goes up as I buy new models! :D

I've used Vanguard Endeavor ED II, Vortex Viper HD 8X32(MIJ), Zeiss Terra EDs, and even a SV 8X32 at times!

If I were going to get a binocular just FOR that...I'd get a Vortex of my choosing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back