• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zoom eyepiece of fixed telescope lens (1 Viewer)

tittletattler

Hi all,

I use a Nikon P5100 with the Kowa 883mm Apo coupled together with the URE20 and other Eagle-eye stuff.

I use the 20-60X zoom on the scope.

The depth of field in the shots is of course poor. This is to be expected, I assume. But I do take an awful lot of shots where the subject is just out of focus but the weeds in front, or behind, look splendid....

Does the depth of field improve with a fixed eyepiece, say, 30X?

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

Hi Andy
Have you tried spot focusing. I had the same problem as normal focusing always wanted to focus on vegetation in front.

Also maybe try a series of shots very slightly changing the focus on the scope.

Andy,

In the last month I switched from a fixed 20x EP to the same zoom you are using. First thing I did was check the DOF and I didn't detect any difference. The only thing that seems to improve DOF is distance - further the distance greater the DOF. You may want to look at the thread "camera zoom vs scope zoom" which outlines my changing to this fine EP. I always use spot focus and my camera has excellent focus but it can misfocus at times like if there is a stick that I don't see in the spot.

I've also found it is better to use the scope zoom first and camera zoom second as the same image is sharper with the scope zoom higher. At the same time it seems harder to get the camera to focus when in the top range of the scope.

Hope this helps, Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back