• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SFL8x30 vs Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 (1 Viewer)

If we move beyond the respective positioning of the two binoculars, all reviewers of the CL-B have praised the ”optical box” design of their oculars and the ease of view, when HenRun returned his SFL 30 in part due to lack of ease of view.

I myself had briefly compared the CL-B against the VP 8x25 and found the optical gains if any were not impressive enough to justify the 2x weight and price. I’m interested in the SFL 30 because it looks almost as compact as the VP, but HenRun’s observations gave me pause.

I found the VP 8x25 to be optically superior to the CL-B 8x30 in one area that I'm very sensitive to i.e. CA. The fact that they were so much lighter and cheaper and with any other optical differences being very small (if any) I went for the Zeiss instead, surprising myself because I have always really liked Swaros.

I’ve not yet used the SFL 8x30. but following most opinions offered thus far, am confident it will be superior to the Nikon MGH 8x30, which I’ve already chosen over the CL-B 8x30 or the VP 8x25. The CL-B has its merits: the view is lovely and there really is nothing to complain about. However, the MHG ended up being the better birding tool. Perhaps the MHG has a bit more CA and perhaps a bit less sharpness. But it has better ergonomics, a larger FOV, better color, and perhaps better glare control. For me that made the choice easy. And the VP 8x25 is terrific for what it is, but I (again subjective opinion) wouldn’t be comfortable birding with it, whereas the better 8x30’s get over a size / ergonomics hump to be truly usable general purpose birding bins.

So for me, already preferring the MHG to the CL-B or VP, I can only assume that I will like the SFL 8x30 a lot and that it is / will become the new best in class for the x30 segment.

pbjosh

I also changed my excellent VP 8x25 to the even better HG 8x30. The HG is more immersive thanks to the FOV of 8.3 degrees!!!, brighter, a little bit sharper, more comfortable, more robust with more solid construction, and more beautiful as an object itself. Several of these advantages/qualities are even preserved in comparison with the excellent new Zeiss SFL 8x30, that's how good Monarch HG 8x30 is.33 HG vs VP.jpg

Last edited:
They do look deceptively similar - but the in-hand feel is, to me, noticeably different. The CL feels thinner and gives an easier grip with the longer length behind the hinge. The CL also feels slightly lighter. Sure, the specs are what they are, putting hands on gives a slightly different impression.

With the 8x30 SFL - on the pair I demoed - I had a lot of blackouts with the eyebox. With the CL - for me, the pairs I have demoed - they were very easy to use. I thought that they were even easier to use than the NLs; possibly because I have small hands.

I have since tried a 10x30 SFL - and on that pair - I had no blackouts at all.

My serious complaint with Swaros generally - is that their close focus is not great. Both Zeiss and Kowa, in my experience, focus much closer.

I really want to get my hands on the 8x25 VP to see what I think of them.

To me...the MHG and the Zeiss VP 8x25 feel more 'toylike'...although optically they are excellent. But I always felt I had some Fisher Price toy around my neck. I do like them optically and do like the compactness but not as every days.... jim

To me...the MHG and the Zeiss VP 8x25 feel more 'toylike'...although optically they are excellent. But I always felt I had some Fisher Price toy around my neck. I do like them optically and do like the compactness but not as every days.... jim
Yes, they look like toys...but that's how 8x25 or 8x30 binoculars should be! An 8x32 binocular (even more an 8x30 or 8x25 binocular) must be designed as small as possible, otherwise we enter in the field of larger binoculars such as 8x42. The only reason to use an 8x32 instead of an 8x42 is to be smaller and lighter. But I have seen 8x32 binoculars so big that we easily confuse them with a 8x42 one (SF 8×32 and NL 8x32). In my opinion the main advantage of the 8x32, 8x30, 8x25 class binoculars must be smaller/ lighter volume, otherwise an 8x42 is better, brighter and more comfortable!

Last edited:
Yes, they look like toys...but that's how 8x25 or 8x30 binoculars should be! An 8x32 binocular (even more an 8x30 or 8x25 binocular) must be designed as small as possible, otherwise we enter in the field of larger binoculars such as 8x42. The only reason to use an 8x32 instead of an 8x42 is to be smaller and lighter. But I have seen 8x32 binoculars so big that we easily confuse them with a 8x42 one (SF 8×32 and NL 8x32). In my opinion the main advantage of the 8x32, 8x30, 8x25 class binoculars must be smaller/ lighter volume, otherwise an 8x42 is better, brighter and more comfortable!
NO doubt...I agree. But I do like my Meostar 8x32...as for some reason they just have more of a bulk to them. I am assuming (haven't tried one in years) that the Conquest is the same. Small but not 'too itsy bitsy small....

Imans66,
Yes, now I understand what you are saying. I also like to feel a little density in the binoculars. I like the binoculars volume to be smaller with weight a little higher, than to be a little bigger volume at same weight.

I'd bird exclusively with my Zeiss 8x25 VP and not feel hard done by. Phenomenal performance at a stupidly low price.

Right, and where should we go for those impartial, informed and comprehensive tests then? Rokslide?
Your own eyes....your own hands and how you feel that binocular. I realize not everyone has a chance to either rent out binoculars or order a pair of used ones from B & H (as in America) and then return etc..... (I don't do that with new bins), but if you can, that is ideal to really get a feel and compare and contrast several of your top ones.

Otherwise... regardless of what website is around or who you talk to here on the forum, you are more or less just kicking the can and seeing what you like. When you receive it, hopefully you will enjoy them. One thing to keep in mind is that in binoculars/optics...you get what you paid for. A sub $500 bin will yield you sub results when compared to a sub $1000 ....and then keep going up the ladder. If you are content with what you have, then be content and bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back