• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SFL8x30 vs Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 (1 Viewer)

FlowChi

Austria
Hello. This is my first post here and I don't know if it's ok for you to start a new thread. If not, can someone move it?

I've read a lot about the SFL 8x30 in this forum. I don't understand something about it:

The SFL 8x30 is constantly compared to all sorts of other binos (The UV, which is significantly more expensive. The MHG, which is significantly cheaper. EL, NL, SF are a lot more expensive), but very rarely to the CL 8x30. For me the CL is THE "natural" competitor to the SFL. Same in price: CL: 1200€, SFL: 1350€ (with the current trade-in promotion the SFL is only 1150€). They were similar in weight and size.

Why is the CL ignored by so many here? Or do I miss something?
Any thought?

(Well, yes, I live 15km away from Swarovski in Absam, but I have no particular bias towards Swarovski. I also own Zeiss, Leica and others)

In the UK the CL 8x30 is £990 vs £1300 for the SFL so a big price difference. The UVs are £1369 so about the same price as the SFLs...

In the UK the CL 8x30 is £990 vs £1300 for the SFL so a big price difference. The UVs are £1369 so about the same price as the SFLs...
Thanks for the answer. The different prices in the UK are interesting. The question of why the CL is ignored remains. Compared eg with the MHG

Hello. This is my first post here and I don't know if it's ok for you to start a new thread. If not, can someone move it?

I've read a lot about the SFL 8x30 in this forum. I don't understand something about it:

The SFL 8x30 is constantly compared to all sorts of other binos (The UV, which is significantly more expensive. The MHG, which is significantly cheaper. EL, NL, SF are a lot more expensive), but very rarely to the CL 8x30. For me the CL is THE "natural" competitor to the SFL. Same in price: CL: 1200€, SFL: 1350€ (with the current trade-in promotion the SFL is only 1150€). They were similar in weight and size.

Why is the CL ignored by so many here? Or do I miss something?
Any thought?

(Well, yes, I live 15km away from Swarovski in Absam, but I have no particular bias towards Swarovski. I also own Zeiss, Leica and others)
Yes, this occurred to me as well! The CL 8x30 does not seem to get the attention it deserves in my opinion. I use mine regularly and am very happy with it since it offers a very good performance for its price - all in a very lightweight package. Hopefully once more people get their hands on the SFL 8x30 we might see some direct comparisons. However given what I've read so far I'm not totally convinced is worth the extra cost over the CL, so I don't really feel an urgent need to replace my Swaro with one (yet 😉😉😉).

Yes, this occurred to me as well! The CL 8x30 does not seem to get the attention it deserves in my opinion. I use mine regularly and am very happy with it since it offers a very good performance for its price - all in a very lightweight package. Hopefully once more people get their hands on the SFL 8x30 we might see some direct comparisons. However given what I've read so far I'm not totally convinced is worth the extra cost over the CL, so I don't really feel an urgent need to replace my Swaro with one (yet 😉😉😉)
I think will compare both next time.

Possible issues with CL:

original version was unimpressive, many may not have tried the neu
view still a bit narrow
clumsy diopter setting
vague sense that it's been marketed to those not serious about bins? (Northern Lights etc)

Possible issues with CL:

view still a bit narrow
clumsy diopter setting
vague sense that it's been marketed to those not serious about bins? (Northern Lights etc)

For me, it's about the current glass. I don't care about any old ones.
I set the diopter once. Can problem.
I think 132m isn't that bad.
I don't care about the marketing.
What are people who are "not serious about bins"?

And information from an EU dealer suggests SFL retailed there at around Euro 1500 before Zeiss's recent special offer.

Possible issues with CL:

view still a bit narrow
clumsy diopter setting
I agree with your final point. Put it like this, in the UK the retail price of the CL 8x30 is almost exactly half of the price of NL 8x32 so if retail price is an indication of Swarovski's own assessment of CL's optical performance then it would certainly seem CL is aimed at those who don't wish to invest as much in their binos as those at whom the NL is aimed.

And information from an EU dealer suggests SFL retailed there at around Euro 1500 before Zeiss's recent special offer.
I paid mine 1350€ without any special offer. Ordered it from foto-erhard last friday afternoon, got them yesterday.

But other retailers sell them for 1500€ indeed.

I found the optics really nice. But I did not really like the package. The narrows eyecups, the not so good FOV, the hold. The strap was a bit too short as well, for my taste.
The biggest problem for me were the uncomfortable eyecups. I definitely would consider the SFL now. But I opted for the NL pure 32 instead.

The majority of shops in the Netherlands are still listing it at 1500 - only managed to find one where it was 1350, and they only have 1 in stock.
Well, of course you can pay 1500. I would not, if loads of serious dealer have it chaper.

OT: How can I get ride of the first "reply" i did by mistake?

"CL is aimed at those who don't wish to invest as much in their binos as those at whom the NL is aimed."
Well yes. Thats is the topic here: The comparison of mid-price binos.
Post 10 was in reply to your "What are people who are "not serious about bins"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back