• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SFL 8x30? (1 Viewer)

I know Gijs....I have communicated to you prior on the forum and that is what you said. So good.... But I have had three GPO 8x32's and perhaps just my luck, but I have seen others on this forum who have stated there is play in their GPO too. I really feel that in GPO's case, that their idea of 'quality control' is to have an acceptable amount of play in the focus wheel. If so, they have achieved it, but otherwise, it isn't the normal thing one finds in a binocular and accepts. Great binocular otherwise for the money. I just found by going out birding and trying to hone in on a bird with 1/4 play in focus wheel, really goofed my birding up:) jim
I had two of theses, one had a rough focuser and the other had play, unacceptable in both. I’ve also had the pleasure of using four of their HD’s and everyone had a nice smooth focuser, a little variation in lightness but all very well done. The HD model is the one that motivated me to try the ED ‘s.

I had two of theses, one had a rough focuser and the other had play, unacceptable in both. I’ve also had the pleasure of using four of their HD’s and everyone had a nice smooth focuser, a little variation in lightness but all very well done. The HD model is the one that motivated me to try the ED ‘s.
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Only to find it's some irrelevant waffle about completely different binoculars.

More SFL 8x30 reviews, please! We know that there are people out there who had them, and are no longer embargoed . . .

So far, so good, from the little I've seen, especially comments about a non-restrictive eye-box. Viewing comfort is what I'd primarily look for in stepping up from a quality pocket binocular to a quality lightweight compact.

Last edited:
This is what three binoculars felt in my hands. The SFL 10x30 is small. Two fingers around the barrel with my medium sized hands. Index finger came straight on the focuser. Pinky gets to dangle.

The Swarovski CL 8x30B a good solid three finger grip. Focuser easy on the index finger.

SF 8x32 - firm three finger grip on barrel between hinges, index finger on the focuser.

As a functional birding tool the SFL 30 is great. If the ergonomics suit you, it is unlikely you will miss a bird. A field wider than the CL but a field shorter than the SF.

Also you may like to a size comparison- SF 8x32 vs SFL 8x30

Arijit
I end up holding 32SF and 40SFL bins towards the back end and using my middle finger to focus. Even though I wish the SFL focus wheels were further back I'm optimistic the 8x30s will work well. They have more barrel to grip than the 32FLs.

I looked at the reviews for the SFL's and they were all about 'hunting'.... Now, what goes for hunting will usually be okay as birders will look for much the same but it is funny that the reviews are all about hunters. Where are the birders man? Come on team....bird away and give us real life reviews on in-the-field birding....

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Only to find it's some irrelevant waffle about completely different binoculars.

More SFL 8x30 reviews, please! We know that there are people out there who had them, and are no longer embargoed . . .

So far, so good, from the little I've seen, especially comments about a non-restrictive eye-box. Viewing comfort is what I'd primarily look for in stepping up from a quality pocket binocular to a quality lightweight compact.
I did share my observations on the other thread on the SFL 10x30

These specs just arrived by email from Zeiss​

Performance​

Magnification8 ×
Effective lens diameter30 mm
Light transmission90%
Exit pupil diameter3.75 mm
Twilight factor15.5
Field of view at 1,000 m (yds)142 m (426 ft)
Subjective viewing angle63° Ww
Close focusing distance1.5 m (4.9 ft)
Diopter adjustment range− 4.0 | + 4.0 dpt
Exit pupil distance18 mm
Pupil distance54 – 74 mm
Lens typeUHD
Prism systemSchmidt-Pechan

Features​

LotuTec | Nitrogen filled+ | +
Water resistance400 mbar

Physical​

Operating temperature− 20°C | + 55°C (− 4°F | + 131°F)
Length120 mm (4.7 ")
Width at an interpupillary distance of 65 mm107 mm (4.6 ")
Weight460 g (16.2 oz)
Clearly what I’ve been waiting for

Here's one in German. Probably best for evaluating how they handle.

I did 3 years of German at school, so yeah, I’m pretty much an expert. Not sure exactly what he was speaking, but it can’t have been real German cos he didn’t once say “Wie komme ich am besten zum Bahnhof?”, “Ich mochte ein bratwurst mit Senf” or even “Ich spiele gern Schach”.

I did 3 years of German at school, so yeah, I’m pretty much an expert. Not sure exactly what he was speaking, but it can’t have been real German cos he didn’t once say “Wie komme ich am besten zum Bahnhof?”, “Ich mochte ein bratwurst mit Senf” or even “Ich spiele gern Schach”.

Made me chuckle. It's really clean / clear / slowly spoken Hochdeutsch but plenty of (technical) marketing talk going on. Makes me wish I were living in Germany so I could understand a language I (theoretically) speak fairly well, versus Switzerland where I still understand so little.

I was not suggestion that it is not an "alpha", merely that it's advantage/USP over other 8x30/32's is it's weight.

Thus a perspective buyer is probably interested in it (like me!) because it is very light, in which case it is directly competing with other lightweight "'alphas" like the CL 8x30 or the Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 and, as Gijs suggested, even the GPO Passion ED 8x32.

Given that these are all a lot cheaper, it's got to be a lot better optically etc to make it an attractive proposition to a buyer. I would assume though that it's not so good optically as the SF 8x32 or the NL 8x32 , so in that respect maybe it's a second tier ''alpha'' (maybe an "alpha beta" ?? :) :) :))
So, it appears that at least in part, price determines alpha status. $2,600, Alpha. $1,600, Betamax. I wish you could take look through my 100th Anniversary Edition Nikon 8x30 E2. For half the price of the 8x30 SFL, it produces alpha quality images. It's lightweight (20 oz.) and my index finger falls right on the focuser. It's not WP/FP, so not good for every environment although I think Gijs said that he took his 8x30 E2 to the Alps, and it survived.

I only use the AE 8x30 E2 as a reference standard. If a bin can't match or best the view, it's not an "alpha" in my book regardless of the binocular's price or manufacturer. The Nikon 8x42 EDG matches it, but it's weighs almost 8 oz. more, and the ergonomics are not as stable in my hands. I have to reach up toward the EPs to turn the focuser, which makes the image shake.

If you're looking for a lightweight betazoid with similar ergonomics to the SFL, you don't have to spend $1,600. The Kamakura Koki-made Cable 8x32 Guide will get you there for $1,400 less (minus my 10% finders fee :). I already have three, otherwise I'd buy this sample on eBay. It's from a pawn shop, but it offers free returns.

Brock

For those who do not have the monye to spent more than 1000 euros for the new Zeiss SFL 8x30 or another top 8x32/8x30 binocular, one of the good quality aternatives could be the GPO Passion ED 8x32:
  • FOV 139/m1000m
  • Close focus 1,7 m
  • Weight 520g
  • Light transmission 90%
  • Price 380 euros
Gijs van Ginkel
Bought a GPO ED 8x32 for my wife a while back and have been very impressed with the performance/$. I often recommend this unit to friends looking for a quality but inexpensive 32mm.

So far my 8x40 SFL has been an absolute joy to use. IMO Zeiss struck a sweet-spot in the confluence of size, haptics, optical performance. If the 8x30 SFL follows the same pedigree they could very likely have another winner. Looking forward to the volume of comparisons to MHG, Ultravid, CL, etc. Hopefully, they’ll happen sometime after the new 30mm SFLs begin to ship 😉

Last edited:
Here's one in German. Probably best for evaluating how they handle
"Performance of a 32mm in the size of a pocket glass"? You'd need rather large pockets... And the hold shown here is just wierd, bending the pinky awkwardly up and over to keep it out of the view, so as not to have to bend the index finger awkwardly to reach the focuser? Why not just focus with the middle finger which is longer anyway? There must be a mechanical reason why the focuser is where it is, but it doesn't have to be a problem.

So, it appears that at least in part, price determines alpha status. $2,600, Alpha. $1,600, Betamax. I wish you could take look through my 100th Anniversary Edition Nikon 8x30 E2. For half the price of the 8x30 SFL, it produces alpha quality images. It's lightweight (20 oz.) and my index finger falls right on the focuser. It's not WP/FP, so not good for every environment although I think Gijs said that he took his 8x30 E2 to the Alps, and it survived.

I only use the AE 8x30 E2 as a reference standard. If a bin can't match or best the view, it's not an "alpha" in my book regardless of the binocular's price or manufacturer. The Nikon 8x42 EDG matches it, but it's weighs almost 8 oz. more, and the ergonomics are not as stable in my hands. I have to reach up toward the EPs to turn the focuser, which makes the image shake.

If you're looking for a lightweight betazoid with similar ergonomics to the SFL, you don't have to spend $1,600. The Kamakura Koki-made Cable 8x32 Guide will get you there for $1,400 less (minus my 10% finders fee :). I already have three, otherwise I'd buy this sample on eBay. It's from a pawn shop, but it offers free returns.

Brock

Brock
At the risk of getting dogpiled here, I have the Nikon E2 8x30's as well, and, FOR ME, these bino's, while quite sharp as you stated, aren't wide-angled anything. As an eyeglass wearer, they actually offer, FOR ME, a very restricted FOV; I gather it's due to the very small eye relief but, perhaps I'm wrong. I own the latest alpha's from Zeiss, Swaro and Leica-save the Noctivid's-and, FOR ME, the E2's aren't anywhere close to them in total optical performance. In fact, I have an old CZJ 7x50 that provides, FOR ME, a slightly wider field of view. Am I alone in this?

At the risk of getting dogpiled here, I have the Nikon E2 8x30's as well, and, FOR ME, these bino's, while quite sharp as you stated, aren't wide-angled anything. As an eyeglass wearer, they actually offer, FOR ME, a very restricted FOV; I gather it's due to the very small eye relief but, perhaps I'm wrong. I own the latest alpha's from Zeiss, Swaro and Leica-save the Noctivid's-and, FOR ME, the E2's aren't anywhere close to them in total optical performance. In fact, I have an old CZJ 7x50 that provides, FOR ME, a slightly wider field of view. Am I alone in this?
It sounds like it's the eye relief thats the problem. They do have a wide field of view but it is not as well corrected for field curvature as the Zeiss and swaro you mention (I'm assuming sf and nl) but they are much smaller and lighter. The eye relief is much better in the newer Schmidt pechan models.

Will

It sounds like it's the eye relief thats the problem. They do have a wide field of view but it is not as well corrected for field curvature as the Zeiss and swaro you mention (I'm assuming sf and nl) but they are much smaller and lighter. The eye relief is much better in the newer Schmidt pechan models.

Will
Indeed, Will, and thanks for your reply. In addition to the alpha Swaro's, Leica's and Zeiss' I have, I also have many far less expensive roof's that I purchased as a result of the recommendations from the good folks here on BF. (Sightron, Bushnell, Athlon) Most surprisingly for me, they all offer a wider field of view than my E2's, regrettably...Sorry to have hijacked this thread

Let me scoop the poop before it piles up! I don't wear glasses with my binoculars, so for me, there's plenty of eye box room, and I just fall into the expansive 70* view of the 8x30 E2, the edge of which extend nearly beyond my peripheral vision.

I didn't realize you needed to wear glasses with binoculars and that ER was an important factor. As the palace guard said to Dorothy and her friends in the Wizard of Oz, "That's a horse of a different color!"

It can be tough to find high quality WF bins with enough ER for eyeglass wearers. That's why many birders pass on the otherwise excellent 8x32 Ultravid. Also, even if you can find a website that lists the useable ER for a bin (listed ER minus lens recession), it still might not be enough for some people's glasses since some types of frames sit closer to faces than others and some people's eyes are deeper set than others, so it can become a real challenge since generally speaking, extra wide EPs have lower ER. To get both a WF and high ER requires a complex EP design, which means you have to pay more, sometimes a lot more, as in the case of WF high ER EPs from Televue.

I have astigmatism, so I should be wearing glasses that correct for astigmatism for the sharpest view, and I did when I used bins for stargazing, but for birding, I don't find it makes enough difference to limit myself to only long ER bins.

Do the 8x30 E2s you own have the latest glass and coatings? The serial # will start with 82. Those are supposed to have the same excellent lead-free glass and coatings as the Anniversary Edition. If you have a pre-2017 E2, that could be why they don't measure up to the alphas. The 2017+ Nikon glass and coatings were a giant leap forward in performance. But of course, as usual, Nikon never marketed that fact.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back