• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yucatan (1 Viewer)

Just returned from Yucatan last night. It was a family trip (kids, grandkids, beach etc) but while I was unable to work out anything with Becab, I did hook up with a guide from Community Tours for Miyun which near the Sian Kaan Biosphere area.

We had a great morning birding with Antonio who was a delightful young Mayan who was relatively inexperienced but anxious to please. He was from the local village, so I felt I was contributing a bit to the local economy......it looked as if they really needed it as well.

I got some great pics and many new life birds. I'll post a report after I get things organized.

I'll be in the Riviera Maya in April and looking for a guide for a day so any more details on Community Tours would be gratefully recieved.
Looking forward to your trip report.
Cheers
Phil

I'm looking for a guide for 15-21 March in the Yucatan. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi

You really can manage the Yucatan by yourself with the excellent 'Where to watch birds in Mexico' guidebook by Steve N Howell. Roads in the Yucatan are excellent and there is a range of accommodation. Except for the first night which we booked in advance using the internet we found accommodation when we arrived at birding locations. We birded here in 2008 and my trip report can be found at:

http://www.freewebs.com/suebryan/mexico2008.htm

Hope this helps
Best wishes
Sue

If you want a half day or so, I'd highly recommend Community Tours. They have an office in Tulum (52) 984 114 07 50 from outside Mexico or try www.siankaantours.org. They are a small organization that was funded by the government to give jobs in the small local villages around the Sian Ka'an Biosphere. I spent met Antonio at the Miyul Archeological Zone and he suggested a few hours in the near by scrub and forest. The birds were very active early. I think I got about 40 species in 2.5-3.0 hours. I'm into photography, so we took a little longer trying to get the "perfect shots". Antonio said they also do a float trip in a nearby lagoon for aquatics.

Good luck on your trip. You'll like the Mayan Riveria.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back