• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (3 Viewers)

Eurasian wigeon in central Texas, #525. Seen through a scope at probably 1/2 km, so not the most satisfying view. I'll take any lifer within a couple hours of my house at this point, though! This male was kind enough to return for at least a 2nd winter after I dipped on him last year.

Glaucous Gull at Lake Mead in southern Nevada. This is usually a bit south and inland for this species.

We drove late this afternoon to this small estuary at the edge of town. We saw a Great Egret, a White Ibis and Yellow-crowned Night Heron. The Great Egrets were pretty far away but looked majestic. The couple of White Ibis were quite shy and flew away shortly after seeing us, but the Yellow-crowned Night Heron stuck around for a long while. I was able to catch this image of it through the binoculars with my iPhone. Location: Mazatlán, México

IMG_9031.jpeg

Last edited:
#526- Thick-billed (formerly McCown's) longspur. Sweet first lifer of 2024, as this was a nemesis bird and one of only two "expected" birds in central Texas that is missing from my life list.
Birding barren ag fields in the winter isn't my favorite thing to do, but the longspurs made my previous dips worth it. Instead of a flock half a kilometer away, as often seems to be the case with these birds, I had about 40 birds fly low just a few meters away, calling. They then mostly stayed somewhat hidden among dirt clods, but came out onto the road a couple of times, allowing great views.

Waterthrush and snow buntings. After hearing the news yesterday, we all got to sleep early and left early on- showed pretty fantastically. Also finished the day off with six snow buntings at mersea.

Attachments

• _P2A0673.jpeg
    _P2A0673.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5269.png
    IMG_5269.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5268.png
    IMG_5268.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5270.png
    IMG_5270.png
    8.4 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Three Blue Ducks at Peg Leg Creek, Arthur’s Pass, New Zealand.

The pair and one juvenile were very close, but pretending to be asleep - eyes closed, but sometimes opened to give a beady look, and bills permanently buried in back feathers. One woke up and briefly waggled it’s head, showings it’s odd pink bill, but too quick for a pic or even a view in binoculars.

A Great Bittern, yesterday afternoon -- pointed out to my when I asked a birder nif there was anything special, while running with my wife.

Took me a bit to pick it up, it was well camouflaged. It then took me even longer to catch up with my wife, who had not slowed down :ROFLMAO:
Hence the expression, ‘ Once bittern, twice overtaken’;)
Or something like that……..

A Little Bunting had been wintering in Lauttasaari, Helsinki since November. Yesterday I had an other "business" in Helsinki so at last I went to look at it. After 20 minutes shaking in -16 Celsius and freezing wind the LB came. At some point it would certainly have come closer, but I was already completely frozen, so I disappeared from the scene...

Attachments

• ceacrP3050947.JPG
    ceacrP3050947.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • ceacrP3050955.JPG
    ceacrP3050955.JPG
    858.8 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back