• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ynys y fro reservoirs (1 Viewer)

I guess those differences are too subtle for my brain to register. I'm always impressed that people can seperate those non singing warblers in the field that are fairly similar to one another. Another warbler today though with a bona fida twitch straight after work for the Marmora's Warbler (290). Earlier I saw a small bat at lunchtime flying about over the church opposite the office window.

New office window and more looking up to report on this evening. I am now promoted and managing CAMHS youth offending service so have new office in St Cadocs hospital Caerleon. Happened to glance up yesterday to see SWANS!!!. Around 11 of them in a V and something told me they weren't Mutes. It just happened my bins were at my feet and I managed to get bins on them for a second or two. They were big, they were slim they were probably whoopers, they were gone out of sight. I thought about dashing out of the office and realised by the time I got to an exit they would be long gone.

Checked the GOS website today, then glam birds, severnside, birdguides, 11 Whoopers any where and they were going on my office window list. Lo and behold this evening 10 Whoopers on Ponthir Resevoir Cwmbran. They are now on both my office window list and my seen at south wales psychiatric hospitals list, best birds on this last list whoopers, black redstart, med gull, hobby and pallas's warbler

Since the whoopers 127 I've seen another snipe past my ringland offiice window (fourth, in two years I think). Then yesterday I popped up to Ponthir resevoir, on arrival I realised I'd left my binoculars behind. Ponthir is only a small reservoir but big enough to mean that I couldn't get close enough to the single swan to positively I.D. it. I thought it was a Whooper and put news out to Nathan who needs it for Gwent year list. He managed to get up to see it. It was a Bewicks 128. Quite a few sightings of "wild" swans around South Wales at present.

Nice sighting today with two calling green sands over the works car park in Ringland. Also a few common gulls patrolling around, some cormorants overhead and a common sand and an increase in lapwing numbers on the usk at caerleon.

Excellent garden record. I added Reed bunting to my garden list but no brambling or Waxwing despite lots of looking and lots of apples and seed in garden. I've added Red kite 129 to my seen during work list but only due to the fact that I've added Powys to my domain.

Been up to Powys again today. A few sightings of red kite in and around Brecon. It is surprising how few kites are seen in Gwent considering how many there just a few miles further north. I have a Michael Warren print in my front room the colours of the kites and the hills and the woods are perfect. The grey green bare leaved oaks are beautiful this time of year.

looked out of my office window in St Cadocs Hospital today to see an Adult Med gull anting overhead. New addition to any of my office window lists. Second record for my seen in psychiatric hospitals list. Too many lists.

Saw the yellow throat today. British list now up to 291. Last three British ticks Ib Chiff, mamoras and yellow throat all Gwent Birds.

Have seen goosander out of my office window (new for any office window list) and Woodcock (130) on the way into work flying alongside road.

I was just about to leave my office today at St Cadocs Hospital Caerleon when I glanced up to see a Hoopoe like shape land in the tree opposite.

The sensible part of my brain said "no its a jay, walk out of the office and go to the meeting" the not so sensible part of my brain said "no have a look". I decided it would be stupid not to have a look. I had a look and there in the tree was a Hoopoe 131. Only my third ever U.K. sighting, a new self found species and an addition to my seen in/from a psychiatric hospital list.

I think that makes 191 for Newport.

Last edited:
Amazing! Remember that pants day at Holme when it rained more than was feasibly possible and we didn't see any of three Hoopoes.

It poured for the whole weekend, I remember ticking a roosting bairds sand at Titchwell in a downpour and wondering who was more miserable the sandpiper or the assembled birders.

The most miserable looking bird I've ever seen was that Green heron at Stonecreek. I'm sure I was projecting onto the bird but it really did look like a bird that wanted to be in tropical sun rather than a bitterly cold easterly coming in off the Yorkshire coast. The next one I saw was in Barbados and it definitely looked happier.

On the afore mentioned Norfolk trip I've never been more envious of a clean pair of socks than when Mark pulled a pair out of his bag on the way back to Leeds. I was cold and wet and miserable and the socks looked like the most desirable thing in the world.

I went to Norfolk a few years later in similar conditions. After a day or so we arrived at a ford, looked at the water and thought we'd risk it. We drove into the water and started to float downstream!! We opened the car doors to prevent this and of course the water poured into the car. By the time we pushed the car back up and out of the ford we were soaked again.

I'm sure this is part of the reason why I don't twitch distance any-more. I want to get back home into the warm as soon as possible.

No sign of the Hoopoe this morning despite the sun being out and a nice big expanse of grass out in front of my office window.

Last edited:
Got a life tick today. Long Billed Dow on the Gann (292 UK).

Also a greenshank and a black-wit there plus a female merlin flew over car on the way home.

Had great views of 8 Waxwing yesterday on the way to work as well.

My wife asked me if we were twitching but I argued that we were going for a walk at a place that there just happened to be a bird I hadn't seen before.

She wasn't particularly convinced.

Any-way she saw it as well and I added it to her list of birds that she didn't really want to see but did so to humour me.

Last edited:
Popped across for the Red Flanked Bluetail. Steve Waites photo directions on his Axe Birding Blog meant we were first there this morning stood not far from the birds favourite little cluster of trees. 30 seconds later bird in view 295. Then up hill to rushmede lane for Corn buntings by the score. Some glowing spring Yellowhammers too. All in all very nice.

Local twitch today for Grey Phal at YR. Bird showing down to a few yards. Nice find by Darryl and the second I have twitched there. I was looking for one yesterday at Goldcliff. I did see my first grey plover of the autumn there but not quite the same. Grey Phal is one I need for self-found list.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back