• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

YLG ID Upton Warren UK (1 Viewer)

i think it's an odd 3cy herring gull. head shape and bill would be strange even for a female YLG.
the mich look is produced by the white head and contrasting coverts, esp. in this pic http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=373546&d=1331413270.

there's nothing that would exclude either sp. but adding a small looking dark eye (which doesn't fit either - but of course this is no cachinnans) to a retarded bill and leg colour (if a YLG). the underwing pattern is pretty soft and doesn't fit the normal michahellis. broad tail band disfavours YLG too but certainly would be within variation. no grey median covert bar - also better for argentatus of some kind...

cheers

Cheers for opinions guys, always learning! So just to clear up a 3cy Yellow leg at this time of year should show a paler base to the bill or more adult like?

bill colour developement is extremely variable in all similar species. but yellow-legged gull is the one that (in my experience) most likely shows an almost adult type bill by mid spring 3cy. however, some ind. can show a mostly dark bill up to 3rd winter. your bird shows about the average colouring (and shape) of herring gull at this age class.

i'm seeing both herring gull and yellow-legged gull but more so the latter in two of the pics. gut feeling it is a yellow-legged or maybe hybrid. interesting bird

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back