• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow legged Gull ? (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

First - Poland , Podhale , 3 may
2 gulls - and in my opinion 2 Yellow-legged (or it's time to give up on recognizing gulls :) ) . Among other things, I remembered from Lou that black band tapering towards corners in michahellis. Lack of mirrors , lack of evident window, uniform back - 3 year?

Attachments

• IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    670.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    478.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1437.JPG
    IMG_1437.JPG
    492.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    449.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    486.7 KB · Views: 24
Hi, Michal. Like you, and many others, I struggle with gulls and, am no expert! But, looking at the head shape - slanted narrow forehead - and bill length/shape, I'm leaning toward Caspian chachinnans chachinnans? Sorry, not a very detailed I'd. I'm sure, Lou S/A Stohr, will be along soon, to give you a far more in depth, and, correct I'd.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot , but as I wrote, Lou opinion (from other thread) was: "black band tapering towards corners in michahellis". Another question:
what about mirror on primaries ?

Hello,

thanks Harry! Please note, that my part is only the in depth comment, while Lou is the one for in depth comments and confident correct ID.

Please note iirc the difference in tail-band is (mostly?)for 1st cycle birds. Such a narrow tail band is regular in 2nd cycle Caspian Gulls (or the ones I think I can do in NE-Germany)

(and yes variation, but the underwing seems unmarked whitish. Shouldnt many YLG still have some barring dark parts?)

So I agree with Harry: both look good for 3cy Caspian Gulls for me. But... thanks Lou!

Hello,

thanks Harry! Please note, that my part is only the in depth comment, while Lou is the one for in depth comments and confident correct ID.

Please note iirc the difference in tail-band is (mostly?)for 1st cycle birds. Such a narrow tail band is regular in 2nd cycle Caspian Gulls (or the ones I think I can do in NE-Germany)

(and yes variation, but the underwing seems unmarked whitish. Shouldnt many YLG still have some barring dark parts?)

So I agree with Harry: both look good for 3cy Caspian Gulls for me. But... thanks Lou!
You're, far too modest, Alexander! ☺

like Alexander said, the narrow tapering tail band is a feature in 1st cycle michahellis for separation from Herring or Caspian Gulls, note however that quite some baltic HG do have a narrow and contrasting tail band! These are both 2nd cycles (note grey mantle and scapulars) and both look good for cachinnans, especially on almost patternless coverts. Tail band in 2nd cycles is extremely variable in all large gull taxa with a slight tendency for michahellis to show tails like this but many cachinnans also can look like it. I think the majority of 2nd cycle cachinnans have much more black in tail, up to completely black rectrices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back