• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worthing weekend - any birding sites? (1 Viewer)

flippsy

"She's got it bad"
I'm going to be in Worthing this weekend for a conference. I'm sure I'll be able to escape for a while! Since I live in West Yorkshire - I'm hoping for some birds I might not see up here of course! Could anyone advise me on where I could go on foot or public transport for a good bit of birding for an hour or two? Thanks!

Hi Flippsy

Your best bet would be to head up to Shoreham - trains/buses every 10 minutes or so and is only 6-10 minute journey. Buses straight along seafront. Trains from Worthing Central every 10-15 minutes or so.

Shoreham:

Estuary of River Adur - better for low/med tides but very accessible and is in town centre of Shoreham where you'd get off bus - plenty of places for coffee and a shop!

Shoreham Beach/Widewater Lagoon/sea watch - not too good if weather very windy - get off bus at town centre, cross river and head towards beach - keep walking West (about 15-20mins) along beach and you'll hit Widewater Lagoon - but not very much around here and you'll need a decent scope for any meaningful seawatch

I'd recommend the following for the greatest diversity of birds and not so dependent on tide/weather:

Shoreham/ River Adur
- get off bus at town centre on opposite side when you cross the river by train or bus. (slightly longer walk from train station) - 2mins over the main footbridge to the houseboats on opposite side. Walk up bank as far as you like - if tide out, then plenty of gulls, waders, passerines/migrants nr. houseboats and gardens etc - keep walking towards Shoreham Airport (north) staying on river bank towpath past houseboats (you'll have to cross the main A27 before Airport but footpaths immediately continue on other side of road, just keep following footpaths along river) - Chance of Kestrel, Hobby, Buzzard, Reed Bunting, Stonechat, Reed Warbler and Sedge in reed beds, Kingfisher, Lapwing and Meadow Pipit etc - on river, possible Grebe, Cormorant, ducks, gulls, few waders - double back and return to where you started - - return journey time about half an hour leaving a good hour and half for birding and more than enough time to do this walk.

PM me if you want any further info

(Other possibililities: Arundel WWT - takes longer about 40 mins each way by train and 1 change required) Pulborough RSPB - takes the same, also change required)

Thanks - that's great! Something to look forward to! Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to help me, I really appreciate it! I don't think I'll be bringing the scope - would give the escape plan away perhaps!

Hi Flippsy

You could also try Cissbury Ring which is in Findon - just up the A24 northbound - there are signs to the car park - I think it's up a road called "Storrington Rise" in Findon. Anyway, it's a bit of a walk up there but a nice one, and there is usually good birding to be had.

Best wishes
Didi

Thanks for the suggestion Didi - I feel bad that I have not been able to use this (and Deborah's )since you have both been so kind as to help me. Now it will have to be saved for the next time. It was rather wet this morning when I was planning to go out, and without my raingear and boots (which I decided not to bring for weight reasons) I would have got pretty soaked and would have had to travel back up north 250 miles on the train this afternoon, sitting in a puddle! I am pretty tough but not entirely masochistic -so I had to sadly abandon the idea and content myself with the Worthing gulls, pigeons and a lonely great tit... viewable from the hotel windows.

It was rather wet this morning when I was planning to go out, and without my raingear and boots (which I decided not to bring for weight reasons) I would have got pretty soaked and would have had to travel back up north 250 miles on the train this afternoon, sitting in a puddle!

Totally understand, Flippsy - it was torrential when I went out early afternoon, the only incentive being I had wet weather clothing and knew I was an hour away from a very hot bath at any time!!! Did clear up for a few hours though - and there were some good birds around later - (more here, if youre interested)

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=63587

Shoreham's always a good shout if you don't have a car.

Hm - just read your thread! feel cheated - I could have been there!! - but chances are I would have missed it anyway (Kentish Plover)...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back